What A Pity Another Little Business Goes Under!

Mike S
Posted
Posted
She said unless you are doing the baking and serving eg family owned, the cost of a baker and a shop girl wipes out the profits.

Unfortunately a lot of small business owners forget one of the rules of business ..... don't forget to pay yourself ..... if you don't do that you are spinning your wheels and working for free  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  Bit of a shock this morning, I went for the Bread as per norm First thing and the bread shop was all shuttered up. I knew the owner had been under the weather of late but thought he had covered things when he was at Home. I went to my local Sori Sori for some load and he was there. He told me that he has closed down the business as he just can't make it pay anymore. Here in Dumaguete we do have bread shops on just about  every street corner but his was one of the better ones. Locally.

He was telling me that over the Last year "BREADCAMP",  "B&M","GOLD BAKE" ( all large groups) had opened a lot of Stores and at a bigger variety and lower prices this had hurt him.

A pity for this to happen but I guess like so many things There does not seem to be a place anymore for the little man.  

Jack :tiphat:

:hystery:  where would Wednesday be without an Edit.

You mean of course a general bakery Jack? Filipino style, cakes etc and maybe pandesal?

We had one close, and as I know the owner I asked her.  She said unless you are doing the baking and serving eg family owned, the cost of a baker and a shop girl wipes out the profits.

I love such places especially if you time it correctly to get there within an hour of the baking time.

Exactly Chris just what I like, all fresh stuff and a good Price.

It was all family Run but people tended to buy there Bread on the Way back from Town so the Customer base wen down. the daughter now works at a Larger Bakers and the Son went into the labour pool at City Works. The Wife and the Husband + nieces just carried on

What makes me smile is that I can't Understand why people will put up with mass produced Crap When you have Good Home made stuff on your Doorstep. Price I guess but for  the sake of maybe 20 peso more per Purchase, Good Bread & cakes etc?? But..........  talking to Azon a while ago, we may talk about Investing. The Area needs the Bake Shop and I am of the Opinion we could make it work, I have a friend making all sorts of Pies and things, Diversifying a little just may make the Difference. As we are now getting more and more Foreigners up here on the hill and more and more professional locals who will spend.

We will see.

Jack :tiphat:

If you take it over, Jack, when we move there we will be your customers. Love the freshly baked bread!

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Just take it steady Jack, I know you have the smarts, but in Asia it seems to be a different ballgame.  (Speaking from  experience).

:thumbsup:  Under normal Circumstances I would agree but when you are married to a Filipino Accountant that knows a thing or two about small supply and demand Businesses  she is one I would listen too, Small business were her Major, So far she has turned around 5 with pretty reasonable success. So I will see what she comes up with.  :)

Jack :cheersty:

Will have to get our wives together. Janet has a degree in Business Administration and is an Asst. Manager here at a local store in the US. I know when we move there she will ultimately want to do some sort of business. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As I sit here at the computer eating my still warm "pan de leche", I cannot but feel sorry for you my friend.  Nothing beats that first cup of coffee, with warm pan and a pat of butter. :morning1:    The cookies will be for snacks later.   The young lady behind the counter usually has my order ready if she sees me pull up on my scooter in the morning.  She has also been known to hide the warm stuff if they start to get short.     Ahh, the simple pleasures of life. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Jack its always sad to see any small business close up due to big business pressure.Especially if owners are hard working and dedictaed.

We solved the bread problem (not helping bakeries) by simply buying the small bread oven. Now enjoying sugar free different types of bread every few days. My partner simply loves experimenting and I get to enjoy results.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Jack I just have to share this story with you.

About 6 weeks ago a relative (3rd cousin I think) moved her dentist office to a better location. It was in a small store front on the main drag, maybe 2 meter frontage, basically a door. Well she moved to a larger office and shut up the office. Three days after she moved ( I noticed because the place is about 50 meters from our house, and next to where I get our purified water) a lady of indeterminate age was sitting in front of the old dentist office on a crate, with a pot of food selling it to passersby. A couple of days later she was still on the crate but had a makeshift counter in front of her with 2 pots. Each time I went to get water it improved a little, an umbrella, a make shift bench, a better umbrella, a permanent (Philippine style) lean-to for shade, better seats etc. etc. etc. the side walk is about 2 meters wide at this point.

Here we are 6 weeks later and today I noticed she has a sink fed by a hose that runs to the apartment above the old office, a burner hooked up to a gas bottle, several pots and chaffing dishes, and a fan.

I ran into the cousin and when I mentioned the "squatter" in front of their property she just shrugged as if to say "what can you do?"

Only in da Philippines :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack I just have to share this story with you.

About 6 weeks ago a relative (3rd cousin I think) moved her dentist office to a better location. It was in a small store front on the main drag, maybe 2 meter frontage, basically a door. Well she moved to a larger office and shut up the office. Three days after she moved ( I noticed because the place is about 50 meters from our house, and next to where I get our purified water) a lady of indeterminate age was sitting in front of the old dentist office on a crate, with a pot of food selling it to passersby. A couple of days later she was still on the crate but had a makeshift counter in front of her with 2 pots. Each time I went to get water it improved a little, an umbrella, a make shift bench, a better umbrella, a permanent (Philippine style) lean-to for shade, better seats etc. etc. etc. the side walk is about 2 meters wide at this point.

Here we are 6 weeks later and today I noticed she has a sink fed by a hose that runs to the apartment above the old office, a burner hooked up to a gas bottle, several pots and chaffing dishes, and a fan.

I ran into the cousin and when I mentioned the "squatter" in front of their property she just shrugged as if to say "what can you do?"

Only in da Philippines :thumbsup:

As we say Scott where there is a will (Need even) there will be a way Good luck to her I say. Unfortunately the Authorities seem to take a Dim View of these things sometimes, I hope not in this case

BTW did you try her Food?

Jack  :)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
BTW did you try her Food?

Are you nuts????????????? :hystery:

Authorities seem to take a Dim View

Once any of us can figure out the what, when or why the authorities chose to notice let alone decide to take action on our lives will be much much easier lol. She is on the main drag, (the original road between Cavite and Manila) near the Barangay Credit union and about 300 meters from the Barangay hall. Go figure :1 (103):

(((((Historical note, Paranaque where I live, name is a bastardized Spanish/Tagalog word meaning basically "middle stop" We are basically along Manila bay and this is where the travelers would stop for the night when traveling between Intramuros and the port of Cavite.))))))

• Like 2