Kanlaon Volcano

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Let it vent but control it, we know they can.

OK, this one went over my head or I'm missing the smiley face or sarcasm here.

Who are the 'they' and how are they going to control Kanlaon Volcano from erupting like 'we know they can'???   :unsure:

Not all sarcastic Dave, Japan have what they call the "Red Adairs" of vucanology, The have sent some before in 2010 I seem to remember when she vented before,  I met one or two of these guys in my hotel one night and they were telling me that at a crucial point they can Stem or  re-vent to offset a full Eruption, How I don't know but i see no reason to dispute what was said at that time.

Jack :)

Red Adair we will remember I hope, is the guy that could cap a fully raging oil Blow fire.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

K's sister Christine lives on the slopes of Mount Kanlaon; indeed her mother comes from Canlaon City which is probably my favourite small town in the Philippines. We were there last Christmas and climbed Mount Kanlaon but did not make the active summit as the weather closed in overnight. It is a beautifully kept National Park.

View from just above Christine's house; in the middle distance is the cemetery; note the large stone block ejected from the mountain in the foreground. Active cone is to the left. 

83DDA68A-3403-43EE-B753-51CDB47D9425_zps

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

I have always been fascinated by Volcano and have not seen one 'face to face' other than the docile one off Santarini, Greek Is.

I happened to see one erupting, from about 20 miles away, in Baños de Agua Santa, in Ecuador. Even from that distance, I could see red hot lava pouring from the top. I think it was Tungurahua.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Canlaon City which is probably my favourite small town in the Philippines.
It's surely NOT my favorite, BECAUSE of the volcano   :)

I had allready SKIPED whole that region as an alternative to settle in, because risk from close volcanos and earthquakes centers.  But a big part of Phils has such risks. During the last days I have looked if there are any safe enough spots in whole Palawan, I doubt there are any.  (Mountains shaped by earthquakes/volcano and hot springs are warning signs...) Not much better if it's low land with high flood risk instead   :)

Jake
Posted
Posted

I had allready SKIPED whole that region as an alternative to settle in, because risk from close volcanos and earthquakes centers.  But a big part of Phils has such risks. During the last days I have looked if there are any safe enough spots in whole Palawan, I doubt there are any.  (Mountains shaped by earthquakes/volcano and hot springs are warning signs...) Not much better if it's low land with high flood risk instead   :)

Geeze Thomas......volcanos and earthquakes centers and low land with high flood risk.  The Philippines is between two major tectonic plates, which produces the Ring of Fire.  

Where else  would you consider residing?  I would love to visit Canlaon City and perhaps campout in the surrounding national park.  Of course, I would wait for a temporary dormant stage in between major venting.   

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Geeze Thomas......volcanos and earthquakes centers and low land with high flood risk.  The Philippines is between two major tectonic plates, which produces the Ring of Fire.  

Where else  would you consider residing?  I would love to visit Canlaon City and perhaps campout in the surrounding national park.  Of course, I would wait for a temporary dormant stage in between major venting.   

Yes, I know, but I suppouse there are different big risk in different parts.  For instance I suppouse there are biger risks for volcano eruptions where there are volcanos  :)

For instance I guess it's less risk at the hilly part of NE Bohol.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yup we were watching from our top terrace yesterday (car port roof) and clearly see the smoke rising as was this am.

Visited there on Monday and did not notice anything out of the norm. 

Nothing in the way of updates from Google at this time.

As others have said its one of the best kept national parks in philippines, we spend half our life in this area.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I wonder if an eruption would be big enough to have an  effect on either of these cities, particularly air traffic if there is volcanic ash in the air.

Looks like someone reads our questions and I have a bit of an answer here:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Looks like someone reads our questions

:unsure:  Just goes to show that we should choose our words Well at times EH?

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
During the last days I have looked if there are any safe enough spots in whole Palawan, I doubt there are any. (Mountains shaped by earthquakes/volcano and hot springs are warning signs...) Not much better if it's low land with high flood risk instead
The earthquake maps told me Palawan is the ONLY of the biger island without eartquake problems!

(IF I understand the geologic history corect, it depend of the mountains came from earthquakes MILLIONS of years ago. AFTER that the Palawan section was pushed LANDING ON TOP of an other plate.)

For instance I guess it's less risk at the hilly part of NE Bohol.
Yesterday I found earthquake maps telling I guessed wrong  :mocking:     It's corect there are no earthquake CENTERS there, but it's to close to many...
  • Like 1