Looking For Western Style Condo In Cebu

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

I am now seriously in the position for buying my first condo in Cebu. I have looked at about 7 so far, but all are so damn small. Has anybody viewed any yet, that has a decent sized master bedroom and a good sized bathroom.

All I want is a master bedroom, that once a queen size bed is in it, that I have plenty of room to walk around it, and when I mean plenty, I mean at least a good metre around the bed.

In regards to bathroom, need separate shower that won't get the toilet wet at the same time when you are having a shower, if you know what I mean :thumbsup: .

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Mike, can't help you in Cebu. But I am very interested in 1) if you find any 2) size vs. cost. 3) what is your idea of western (American?)?

Can't recall what part of the states your from but in San Diego condos started out in the subburbs as one or two story duplexes, expanded to LARGE apartment building type structures (Bigger units but still looked like apartments) the latest craze is downtown high rise structures like here in the Philippines.

Prior to building out house I go a lot of info just looking at the little hand outs kids are always passing out in the malls. I still look at them just out of curiosity. Here in the Metro area there are cracker box condos going up all over the place and you are right they are small, small, small. I have seen some of what I think you are interested in located in Makati, the new Aseana area and Alaban but they are priced accordingly, upward of 10-15 million (pesos).

As a side note, some of the older "condo buildings" in the surrounding cities that were built as speculation investments are starting to be converted into rentals or apartment buildings natural outcome of overbuilding I think.

Be real interested on your progress. Good luck.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike, can't help you in Cebu. But I am very interested in 1) if you find any 2) size vs. cost. 3) what is your idea of western (American?)?

Can't recall what part of the states your from but in San Diego condos started out in the subburbs as one or two story duplexes, expanded to LARGE apartment building type structures (Bigger units but still looked like apartments) the latest craze is downtown high rise structures like here in the Philippines.

Prior to building out house I go a lot of info just looking at the little hand outs kids are always passing out in the malls. I still look at them just out of curiosity. Here in the Metro area there are cracker box condos going up all over the place and you are right they are small, small, small. I have seen some of what I think you are interested in located in Makati, the new Aseana area and Alaban but they are priced accordingly, upward of 10-15 million (pesos).

As a side note, some of the older "condo buildings" in the surrounding cities that were built as speculation investments are starting to be converted into rentals or apartment buildings natural outcome of overbuilding I think.

Be real interested on your progress. Good luck.

Thanks Scott, I will keep you updated. On a side note I did see a display studio on display at SM which would have been perfect, nice big bed, large living area, with a great bathroom. Got talking to the sales person, turned out it is some kind of time share hotel room that they are starting to sell, which means, no guarentee that I would have my room everytime I was in Cebu. It really looked like a big 5 star hotel room...but it was pretty cool, and looked very comfy.

Edited by Medic Mike
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

We looked at a number of condo units in Cebu City 2000 - 2010. We found them to be small poorly laid out shoddy and expensive. I guess the thing to not do is show your big Kano nose until "real" prices are let out. Mike I have no idea how you can view a condo and still get a fair honest price. We may have had poor luck with realtors in that regard. Hope you will do better.

I agree with Scott. Lots of speculation going on there is talk of a bubble.

There is a realtor forum sponsor here from Cebu. My wife and I get updates from them and enjoy viewing them sometimes. I find the homes although expensive to be a better value but you can't buy a home and that was not your question. 

Good luck my friend! :)

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

We looked at a number of condo units in Cebu City 2000 - 2010. We found them to be small poorly laid out shoddy and expensive. I guess the thing to not do is show your big Kano nose until "real" prices are let out. Mike I have no idea how you can view a condo and still get a fair honest price. We may have had poor luck with realtors in that regard. Hope you will do better.

I agree with Scott. Lots of speculation going on there is talk of a bubble.

There is a realtor forum sponsor here from Cebu. My wife and I get updates from them and enjoy viewing them sometimes. I find the homes although expensive to be a better value but you can't buy a home and that was not your question. 

Good luck my friend! :)

Yes, when I marry my girl I can buy a home...but at the moment a condo will be a better fit for me.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well there's certainly lots to choose from. A "New" condo development seems to be announced everyday. I guess if you're looking at a one-bedroom type apartment they tend to keep them small to hold the price down (relatively speaking). That's in the expectation you will use the bedroom for sleeping and have the main area to walk around in. I also don't like the bathroom where having a shower means the whole room ends up wet. At least in our new apartment* in the master bedroom there's room for a bath as well as a separate sealed-off shower stall.

*Which we might even get into by Christmas

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A good friend who was into condos in Cebu told me he found it much cheaper to buy 2 small condos, side by side, and knock out the wall between them and renovate.

Cheaper than what, you ask?  Cheaper to buy 2 x 30sm condos and knock out a wall than it is to buy 1 x 60 sm condo.  I couldn't figure it out but he told me it had something to do with taxes.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave nailed it. There is a long topic on this subject here someplace. If I remember correctly Lee and another ex member who both bought adjoining condos gutted them then had a layout to their liking. One condo was in an older building the other was a pair of studios in a new building?

Mike, you did not say what price range you guys were thinking. It could be if you chose high end it could be a better value in the long run.

We were invited to attended the inauguration dinner for the first of the three Marco Polo Residences in 2010 or 11. A three bedroom mid level at The Residences was around 10 million. The view and layout would have been very nice for our family of four. The location was high enough to avoid the smog as we have friends who live nearby. I have no idea how much a one bedroom would cost.

http://marcopoloresidences.com.ph/home.html

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

socal5252
Posted
Posted

What might be the rental price range for apts or condos?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Mike although not directly able to help I trust you have spent some months in Cebu. It's not for everyone, would hate to see you buy and later regret.

I lived there over 3 years and had enough, please be very sure your able handle this city.

All condos I rented were built substandard, some shockingly so. Short cuts everywhere, one lovely looking condo I rented had beautiful lamination over the joinery however as soon as one looked higher than eye level......bare particle board which the termites would love.

Never had a condo with a separate toilet. Also there is some law regarding ownership by a foreigner if the total units are not owned by 60% Filipinos. Perhaps Dave can pick up from here.

• Like 2