Laptop Battery

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Yes, I could google and do my own research  :3_8_14[1]:

But I am trying to get some other things done and maybe one of you already know the answer to my question:

Is it possible to get a laptop battery 'revitalized' cheaply as a short term fix rather than buying a 3,000+ peso new battery for an old laptop.  And more precisely, where might I get that done in Dumaguete?

My 4 year old laptop has a battery that is so bad, even plugging it in is sometimes not enough.  If there is a power glitch the computer goes off as there is NO charge in the battery to speak of.  I tried the trick I saw on the Internet about freezing the battery for a couple of hours and that helped a bit but it wants a little more help than that.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Dave you have a couple of options that I can think of but both involve buying a battery but as I don't live in Dumaguete I can't tell you where .... you can buy a power bank for your computer cheaper and you can use it to power up other items as well .... the way I would go unless you carry your laptop a lot ..... or try and find a repair shop that could have a used battery but you are taking a chance on how long the battery will last .... and of course you already know about the final solution ..... buying a new battery .....

I haven't heard of laptop battery refurbishing here in the Phils and if they did not sure I would be willing to take a chance .... JMHO .. :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Do a search on  http://www.aliexpress.com/. They have free shipping to the Philippines and you can find a battery for pretty cheap, but takes a while to get there.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
you can buy a power bank for your computer cheaper

Wouldn't that be just like leaving it plugged i?

Here is the problem.  Laptop runs just fine most of the time when plugged in, but every once in a while, like just now, I'll be using it and it suddenly dies as if it is getting zero power.  I realize the battery is so dead that it won't run the laptop for even a second, but why won't it keep running on the charger?  It does run on the charger 99% of the time but a couple times a day it glitches and pffft instant shut down.

I guess i shall have to look for another battery but this glitch continues to puzzle me.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

What make and model is it dave? I have a battery for a Toshiba satellite L350 battery model number is PA3536u-brs. It was working before the mother board went on my laptop but if it`s any good to you let me know.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess i shall have to look for another battery but this glitch continues to puzzle me.

By no means a Tech or Electronic freak but it sounds as it  is just not getting enough Power and is Automatically shutting Down to Protect the mother board.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Do a search on  http://www.aliexpress.com/. They have free shipping to the Philippines and you can find a battery for pretty cheap, but takes a while to get there.

They do have the cheapest batteries available for my laptop.  I assume you have used them? How do they ship?  LBC?  Post Office?  Any charges on arrival?

EDIT:  Guess I am gonna find out.  Ordered the battery for $17.79 including shipping from China by "Sweden Post" (don't ask, I have no idea how Sweden is involved).

So now I get to see IF it comes, WHEN it comes (says up to 60 days), HOW it comes (No idea but for that price I doubt they are delivering it to my door), and COST if there are customs duties to pay (as there would be when picking up a package at PhilPost)

But for 800 pesos, compared to 1500 for the cheapest availble online in Philippines ..  WTH, its worth a risk.  :nudie:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

What make and model is it dave? I have a battery for a Toshiba satellite L350 battery model number is PA3536u-brs. It was working before the mother board went on my laptop but if it`s any good to you let me know.

Thanks for the offer but its an acer aspire 4736z battery and the number on the battery is AS07A51 and it looks like this

post-41-0-41474100-1449292789_thumb.jpg

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well different model and even if it fitted I wouldn`t trust it.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the offer but its an acer aspire 4736z battery and the number on the battery is AS07A51 and it looks like this

attachicon.gifAcer Battery.jpg

Hey Dave,

Do you have a meter to measure the output from you power adapter?  Please verify the voltage output is 19vdc before you order another battery.  Power adapters do burn out sometimes.

post-686-0-08923400-1449296426_thumb.png

The internal workings of a laptop battery is similar to a 12vdc car battery.  The laptop battery is divided into individual cells (about the size of AA battery) and when connected together, will give you the rated output (11.1vdc).  If one of more cells are shorted or have too much resistance, then it will no longer accept a full charge.  

Not bad for a 4 year old battery that finally took a dive on you.  Good luck!

• Like 1