Tang Juice Powder

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have looked online and cannot find out very much information on this product.My question is are they unhealthy or do the benefits outweigh any bad ingredients?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I have looked online and cannot find out very much information on this product.My question is are they unhealthy or do the benefits outweigh any bad ingredients?

I believe this product was introduced into the Space Programme so I would have thought all is OK

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I believe this product was introduced into the Space Programme so I would have thought all is OK

Yes thats what I heard.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

100% unhealthy due to the sugar content. The sugar in Such products is higher than that in soft drinks.

Big hits of sugar or high fructose corn syrup which is the usual sweetener, will force the pancreas to produceinsulin quickly. As the glucose is transferred quickly to the cellular level, the blood sugar will peak and drop, resulting in a craving for more sugar. The more times you do that over a period of years, the less the pancreas will respond and the long term outcome might be Type 2 Diabetes.

That's why athletes take sports drinks rather than juices. Fresh juice contains fructose, but no additives, so it would be better. Fructose also converts to glucose, but the process is slower. That's why on the bike we eat bananas and drink water, but such hard candies, which give a very small dose of sugar to keep us going. Very later in the ride we take coke, in small sips because we are depleted....we then eat something in the low glycemic range as soon as we finish,to stop the blood sugar crash, but not to put so much demand on the pancreas. Low glycemic range is pasta and most kind of vegetables.

Thanks Chris, we don`t use it that much but even so this worth taking note of. Perhaps like a lot of other things ok in moderation.

chris49
Posted
Posted
Thanks Chris, we don`t use it that much but even so this worth taking note of. Perhaps like a lot of other things ok in moderation.

If ever you notice, it's like ice cream or a block of chocolate. The more you eat the more you want.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If ever you notice, it's like ice cream or a block of chocolate. The more you eat the more you want.

Hi Chris yes I understand cravings but surely that is for an adult only forum haha.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Not sure it can be 100% unhealthy. We drink it and I'm still alive (if only just). I wouldn't drink it all the time though. Need to leave room for the coffee and alcohol.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I figure it can't be too bad.  For 1 liter there is only about 2 tablespoons of powder. Even though sugar is the first ingredient listed... how much can there really be?  To make 1 liter of Kool-Aid it is the same size package of powder... but you add 1 cup of sugar! 

I find it funny that hotels and restaurants serve Tang as "juice" and seem to actually think it is juice.    :tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
100% unhealthy due to the sugar content. The sugar in such products is higher than that in soft drinks.

You do realize that the above statement insults, INSULTS I SAY! The entire American space program, all those with the "right stuff", NASA as a whole and the entire baby boom generation that drank TANG by the gallon so they could emulate all those brave astronauts.

(cough cough) It really doesn't matter that the baby boom generation as a whole are obese, suffers from diabetes, chronic pulmonary problems  and are generally the most unhealthy group on earth   :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 5