Living In Subic Freeport

expat_jeff
Posted
Posted

Im looking at applying for a retirement visa and renting or leasing a residence in Phillipines.

from what I've read Subic Freeport seems to be a good option.

i would like to hear from anyone who does live there and if its as good as made out on the relevant web sites.

i travel internationally very often so also wondering if there are any flights out of Subic? Clark? or is it back to manila?

also if anyone here has leased one of the ex USA armed forces houses on the 50 year scheme. i read you can get these for 3-4million Peso's

is there a catch?

are there any hidden costs? 

what would electricity/water/internet run at a month?

etc etc

thanks in advance

• Like 1

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

I'm in Angeles, not Subic but I do know there are no flights out of Subic and only a few out of Clark. Check the websites of Cebu Pacific and Air Asia if you want to know which ones. For most flights, unfortunately, you will have to go all the way to Manila.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have lived in Subic, liked it, and may well retire there.

For housing costs best consult someone who lives there now. Yes the leases are perhaps the best security you will get as an expat, but check carefully and spend some months there before investing.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have some interest in the Freeport area also, so will be interested to get some feedback from residents there. I have done some research onthe net and it does seem a little expensive.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Yes, Subic Bay is relatively expensive. Housing "on base" is quite markedly expensive - when K and I were looking two years ago we found very little for rental in the main expat type base areas like Binictican at less than 35-40K monthly which is not what we would call cheap. The Internet connection (Subictel) is better than average but poor by international standards.

On the positive side there is a big international community, there is a Brent School and another international school, the shops are good, plenty of restaurants, etc...

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

Yes, I also have been doing my share of research in Subic. I have been quoted the same monthly rental rate of around $ 38,000P for a small two bedroom apartment (Subic Homes). I will be checking the area out this January for about a week.

So how much do they charge for the internet connections there? And how is the internet speeds?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A friend who lives in Subic and who actually runs a business making training CBTs for seafarers and the oil industry is extremely critical of Internet speeds in the Freeport but his demands are more than those of a household. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

A friend who lives in Subic and who actually runs a business making training CBTs for seafarers and the oil industry is extremely critical of Internet speeds in the Freeport but his demands are more than those of a household.

If PLDT service Subic then they may well be installing Fibre Optic cables with speeds up to 1gb allegedly. We have up to 8mb here in CDO with them and it has been quite reliable, enough to stream my UK tv channels via Thai Expat TV. We are told we should have fibre here in the next few weeks. Its already in the next sub division to us. If we have it in such a backwater as CDO then probably Subic should have it quite soon if not already.

Ken

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I live in the Kalayaan neighborhood of the old Navy base in SBFZ.  See below in Red.

Im looking at applying for a retirement visa and renting or leasing a residence in Phillipines.

from what I've read Subic Freeport seems to be a good option.

i would like to hear from anyone who does live there and if its as good as made out on the relevant web sites.

i travel internationally very often so also wondering if there are any flights out of Subic? Clark? or is it back to manila?

Clark has flights to major Asian cities and Doha.  You can check the airport website to see the airline inbound and outbound activity.

also if anyone here has leased one of the ex USA armed forces houses on the 50 year scheme. i read you can get these for 3-4million Peso's

There are many variables to the long term leases.

It is rare to find a a LT lease with 50 years left.  Some never had 50, only 25 or 20.

Leases can be added to.  For instance, if the lease gets down to less than 25 years, you can buy an additional 25 years.  Exact method to determine price of extension is unknown, but a lady at SBMA told me lately they have been 1 to 1.5 million.

You can find places for 3 to 4 million but they will need work and most likely be for less than 40 years.

is there a catch?

It is not easy to find a nice one at a good price.  Patience is required.

are there any hidden costs?

You have to pay a homeowners fee, p1200 a month.  There is an annual insurance that has to be paid but I think it is only p2000.

what would electricity/water/internet run at a month?

Electric:  The majority is dependent on your air con system and house.  At our current rental, we have the old central aircon, terribly maintained, and it is terrible.  I have to sweat a lot to keep our bill down.  We average 6-10 k a month, depending on month.

Many houses have upgraded to per room split or window systems, and your bill would be lower.

Water:  We are usually around p1000 a month with 2 adults, 2 kids and a medium garden.

Cable p600 a month from Subic Cable

Internet: p1299 for Globe 3 MBPS DSL that is terrible.  PLDT Fibre is available for p3500 for 8 mbps including cable TV.  Ripoff but I will try it when I move.

etc etc

thanks in advance

The long term leases are a good deal when you find the right one.  I just bought one but will not move until next April or later.  The best way to find one is to move into the area, rent, and be patient.  Ours was not the best deal but not the worst, but I like the property a lot.  Price is determined by the market, years left on lease, and condition of the property.  Many sellers are asking ridiculous prices but will take a lot less.

The long term leases can be a good deal.  For instance, if you found a place for 5 million for 40 years, that would be p10416 per month for 40 years.  Very good for an American style house in a quiet neighborhood, and you can sell it again if you choose.

Bows, 38K for a 2 br in Subic Homes (Binictican) is too much unless it is been renovated to be a very high end place.  Usually I hear that people get 5 k negotiated off in that price range.  There are not many 2 br over there.  Mostly 3 & 4.  You can find a lot better deals.  You can find a nice 3 br 2.5 ba 2 story townhome for 35 k in our area.

• Like 2

expat_jeff
Posted
Posted

Guys, many thanks for all this positive input.

it helps me a lot.

so it looks like rent a place for a year and look around for a long term lease.

can some one help me with an contact for an agent?

i emailed one i found on the internet but got no reply.

many thanks