Long Term Stay / Perpetual Tourism

B0nkers
Posted
Posted

I'm a Canadian, currently on a double entry visa in Thailand with 3 months left to go including extension. Starting to consider the next stop and would like to make my way to the PI at some point. I do prefer to stay several months and maybe one day if I happen to come across a nice lady, stay longer without having to get married.

What are th rules for long term stay in the PI? I see a 59 day tousit visa option or a 30 day non visa option is avaiable. Is it possible to simply do a border run after each period or is that frowned upon? Any limitations to the number of times you can do this or how many days per year you can stay etc?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm a Canadian, currently on a double entry visa in Thailand with 3 months left to go including extension. Starting to consider the next stop and would like to make my way to the PI at some point. I do prefer to stay several months and maybe one day if I happen to come across a nice lady, stay longer without having to get married.

What are th rules for long term stay in the PI? I see a 59 day tousit visa option or a 30 day non visa option is avaiable. Is it possible to simply do a border run after each period or is that frowned upon? Any limitations to the number of times you can do this or how many days per year you can stay etc?

Thanks in advance

Currently you can stay 24 months purely on extensions. And it might be longer, I'm checking it now. EDIT: it is 36 months per what I am told.

Flights in and out to reset the immigration status are common enough. You may leave in the AM (to Hong Kong)and come back in the evening without even booking a hotel if you are so inclined. Further research will tell you to have an ongoing ticket in your hand at all ties.

Nothing is frowned upon, foreigners are encouraged to stay in the Philippines.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

B0nkers
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do some more homework on the details now that I know it's feasable :)

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Does anybody know if the 59 day tourist visa is still an option and if so where is it obtained from, is it before you go through immigration on arrival in Manila?    Also, what is the cost?

Thanks in advance.

:cheersty:

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does anybody know if the 59 day tourist visa is still an option and if so where is it obtained from, is it before you go through immigration on arrival in Manila?    Also, what is the cost?

Thanks in advance.

:cheersty:

Hey Eddie,

Most of the guys there are still asleep in PI (approaching 6AM) but in the meantime, type in 59 days in the google site search (upper right corner).  I got all kinds of hits, just from within this forum.  

Have a good one sir!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks in advance

A visa here is a really simple operation. After your initial 30 day free visa you just go to an Immigration Office (B.I), take your passport, passport size pics, fill in the form, maybe wait 30 minutes (depending which office)pay your money, from memory the first 59 day visa is around 4500 pesos ( $100 U.S.), you can repeat the process for 3 years then you have to leave the country to start the process over again. There are other visa's you can get but they involve marriage and or money.

Edit. After your first 59 day visa, the following visa cost for your next 59 days  are around 2400 pesos, also every 12 months you have to pay for your ACR card which is 1500 pesos and if you want to leave after 6 months you need an exit certificate from the BI at a cost of 500 pesos.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In 2014, the tourist visa section collected P971 million in visa extension fees, or 32 percent of the total BI income of P3.022 billion.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks in advance

Currently you can stay 24 months purely on extensions. And it might be longer, I'm checking it now. EDIT: it is 36 months per what I am told.

Flights in and out to reset the immigration status are common enough. You may leave in the AM (to Hong Kong)and come back in the evening without even booking a hotel if you are so inclined. Further research will tell you to have an ongoing ticket in your hand at all ties.

Well that is certainly a different attitude to the one that exists in Thailand.  But the costs of visas in Philippines are more expensive.

A 12 month retirement visa here is 1900b, plus 500b for Embasy income letter.  You report every 90 days.  Repeat the process each year.  Just doing he sums on the 59 day visa there it equates to $600US for 13 months, a big difference!

I have previously looked at the Retirement Visa requiring $10kUS deposit, but can't remember the cost?  How does it stack up? I know there is an annual fee also.

With the Single Entry 1900b Retirement visa, if you wish to leave country, it is 1000b per departure, or get a mltiple entry for 3900b.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just a further question on this topic. Are you required to show suitable for the ongoing visa?  It appears not from the posts?

jon1
Posted
Posted

You need an onward ticket upon arrival in country for a tourist visa on arrival. Most long term stayers have a cheap throwaway onward ticket (not gonna use). 

If you ever do marry, you can get the Spouse visa or take your wife on a trip every year to reset a Balikbayan stamp (which is free on arrival for 1 year). You have to have your wife with you and she has to request it for you.