My ' Friend' The Dentist

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Don't know about you guys, but the person at the bottom of my 'must see' list, is the Dentist.

I only go when I have to and am a nervous wreck until I leave - no matter who it is.

I find them quite good here in Thailand and way cheaper than back in Oz.  

What is the overview in Phils, so I can 'ready' myself'?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Don't know about you guys, but the person at the bottom of my 'must see' list, is the Dentist.

I only go when I have to and am a nervous wreck until I leave - no matter who it is.

I find them quite good here in Thailand and way cheaper than back in Oz.  

What is the overview in Phils, so I can 'ready' myself'?

Can't speak other than here in Dumaguete of course but they seem to be on every street, a bit like banks but seriously they are Plentiful. Charges seem OK.

As with most things though YMMV but over the Last 6/7 years I have been to 4 or Five and can't honestly say many bad things about them.

My Wife's nephew is studying at the Large Dentistry College in Baguio where apparently many are trained from here in the Area.

Prices are well below any I found in the UK but Implants and crowns seem to be on the up in Costs, to me mogo Don't worry, They all, I have been to, seem to know what they are doing.

Of course, you will get a lot of replies I guess on this but like you, the "Dentist" used to terrify me but really you may worry too much.

Jack :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I HATE Dentists. I hate their jewelry, I hate the schools they go to, I hate the perfume or cologne they wear, I hate the way they part their hair or trim their beards, I even hate their pets. I despise everything about dentists.

Probably the reason I have so few of my own teeth left :hystery: .

Having said that, the dentist I go to (a relative naturally) is very knowledgeable. Had several root canals done by her. The equipment might seem a bit shabby and out dated but gets the job done. and as Jack said the prices are much cheaper than in the states in my case.

My one complaint is they are a bit stingy when using pain relievers. I have had to stand and demand that they give me an extra shot.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I HATE Dentists. I hate their jewelry, I hate the schools they go to, I hate the perfume or cologne they wear, I hate the way they part their hair or trim their beards, I even hate their pets. I despise everything about dentists.

WOW ..... don't hold back Scott .....come on tell us how you really feel .....  :28:  .... me I feel just the opposite ..... I love'um .... their pets .... their jewelry ..... their school ..... perfume or cologne or part their hair or trim their beards ..... in fact I can't wait for J to go to the dentist get my teeth fixed and bring'um back to me ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... :merrychristmas:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Dentist was starting to do a filling.  As he turned on the drill I asked about a shot.  He said no shot needed - he was not going to be drilling on my nerve.  I let him know he would not be drilling at all without a shot.  "we don't give Filipinos a shot just for a filling" to which I asked him if I looked Filipino!  I was unfastening the bib to leave before he finally decided to give me a shot.  It took 3 shots - and he charged no extra.  p300 for a filling ain't bad... but when I asked for a sript for codeine he nearly lost his composure  ha ha.  Pain killers here are a joke!  :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Pain killers here are a joke!

Agree 110% time, several years ago I had a tooth ache while on vacation and our "relative" the dentist sat me down gave me a shot and got to work, hit something and I kicked out so bad that I knocked over the stand that the drill was on.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
starting to do a filling.  As he turned on the drill I asked about a shot.  He said no shot needed

I got a root canal done that way.  4 visits and no pain killer for most of it because she told me she needs to know when she hits the nerve.  She said that at my age them canals are hard to find and the only way to find the root canal is to come very close to the nerve.  That way I will jump and she will say:  AHA there's another one.  True Story from about 8 months ago here in Dumaguete.  (edit:  notice she is a female so those who say females are gentler are over generalizing)

On the other hand, all the dentists love doing caps and will do as many as they can talk you into.  They are easy for the dentist and probably their biggest money maker.  No pain to getting a cap unless a root canal is involved.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would rather they just pull the tooth ha ha With pain killer of course.  No shot - no work.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
True Story from about 8 months ago here in Dumaguete.

I thought that they all were.

the other jp

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Had a great visit to the dentist this morning.  My wife got her braces removed and I went next door for some carrot cake & a coke.  :tiphat: