Do Any Couples Of Non-Pinoy Ethnicity Ever Retire To The Pi ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

It just occurred to me, as I was browsing Amazon and came across a book about... reasons to retire to the PI, that I don't know any retired couples here that don't include a Pinay. Do they exist? Maybe there are colonies of Koreans or Japanese, or maybe N. of MNL there are European or North American couples who have done so. I don't see many (or any) down here in the Visayas. I live in a very small world here and am perhaps quite ignorant on this matter.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It just occurred to me, as I was browsing Amazon and came across a book about... reasons to retire to the PI, that I don't know any retired couples here that don't include a Pinay. Do they exist? Maybe there are colonies of Koreans or Japanese, or maybe N. of MNL there are European or North American couples who have done so. I don't see many (or any) down here in the Visayas. I live in a very small world here and am perhaps quite ignorant on this matter.

Last Week, I was having Lunch with a friend on his visit from Over the water to Dumaguete for the BI, We met a Canadian? Lady who for some reason decided to give us a 20/30 min Life History lesson, Seems her and here Husband sailed here and decided to retire, Late 50's I would Guess But, they have now Split up and he is off with a Young Filipina and she was asking us about Divorce. Well we looked at each other ( my friend and I) and said, I guess it will be a trip back Home as I guess Lawyers here can't help as Divorce is not something a Filipino Lawyer is going to Understand. So yes we have met at least one non Pinoy Couple ( well the Wife at least)  that did it. Having said that, I have seen other Foreigner couples about Dumaguete who are very obviously part or Fully Retired here so Yes! it does Happen.

My Wife reminded me that her Late Boss was the result of Chinese Retirement also.

I would say that the majority of Chinese originated Business owners are of Course legitimate offspring's of Retired couples.  (and will be Filipino of course) [as in Born here]

I am with you on this thinking that there will be more Asian Retiring couples that European or from the US but they are there.

just my  input, Hope it helps a little.

Jack :thumbsup:

Morning All  :morning1:  ( little late, as I had a bad nights Sleep)

ps before I send, I have just been reminded that Our old Friend in Batinguel ( Dumaguete) and his Wife are Both Dutch and came as missionaries and married here, that is over 40 years ago.

The more you Dig into Foreigners  in the PI the more weird facts you will uncover We are Not a new concept at all,

We have been around for a long time here ( well not me, only 10+ years) but we are getting more media stuff thrown our way than probably was ever done before.

:morning1:

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences on this. I thought of this but didn't mention it since the people weren't retired, but I do have an older set of non-Pinoy friends from USA who as husband and wife and lived here for ....maybe 15-20 years, but they are missionaries and run a local denominational college. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Here in Dalaguete there are 2 German couples and 1 Spanish couple that I know of.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I don't know any retired couples here that don't include a Pinay. Do they exist?

Many long time residents know a few.  Richard and Jacqui come to mind.  They are well known around Cebu and although they have both worked in the area for many years I believe they are now a fully retired couple.  Try going to the Cebu Hash House Harriers one weekend and you will meet them.  It is a great club to learn more from expats who have spent many, MANY years in and around Cebu.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know 2 European couples here.  Not sure what country they are from but they are white, and sound kind of German...  so German, Belgian, Swiss... all kind sound the same to me.  I have seen other older white couples at the mall but don't know if they live here, or are visiting.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences on this. I thought of this but didn't mention it since the people weren't retired, but I do have an older set of non-Pinoy friends from USA who as husband and wife and lived here for ....maybe 15-20 years, but they are missionaries and run a local denominational college. 

We have one such couple ex missionaries, early 70's who decided to stay here after they got their SS. Doing church work as the man told me.

It's rare but I'm sure there are cases. Many women, even Pinoy wives, among other reasons, will not leave their kids and grandkids to live permanently in the Philippines.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

Its a growing trend and a few developers are capitalising on this. Read an article from Reuters entitled 'Philippines sees opportunity in wealthy neighbors' golden years' to give you a clearer perspective. My personal view is retirement opportunities in the Philippines will likely increase in demand over time. The primary drivers include: competitive cost of care, warmer climate and unaffordability in living standards in countries such as Australia.

In addition, you need to quantify the OFWs that are nearing retirement age, who will seek retirement options in the motherland.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have heard of a few other foreign couples. I personally thought the learning curve would be too steep if neither one of a couple were native born but having lived in the Philippines I can safely say that you don't need a Filipino spouse.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
having lived in the Philippines I can safely say that you don't need a Filipino spouse.

:hystery:  Unless money is involved :whistling: