I'm Back!

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Think of cold showers as a cheap thrill.

Our water line is in our cement driveway. If you want warm water, shower in the afternoon. If you want cool water shower in the morning.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Think of cold showers as a cheap thrill.

Our water line is in our cement driveway. If you want warm water, shower in the afternoon. If you want cool water shower in the morning.

If you're lucky, you live in a place that uses the solar heat-mass gain to heat a large amount of the standing line water, like jpbago says. Two rentals I had did and three didn't. When we first built or little shack our local water line was buried for protection, but after a few leaks and repairs we decided to run the last 50m suspended in the sun along our bamboo access bridge and fence. Its inaccessible to public tampering and we can inspect it easily for leaks when suspected. I'm sure that the direct solar will shorten the black lines lifespan, but its relatively cheap and provides us with solar heated hot water from 10am till 5pm. 

At other times we use the time honored.... add a kettle of hot water to the timba (bucket). Good for when you are truly cold (doesn't take much for my Filipina to feel that despite being fairly oblivious to it myself)  ill, or the weather is rainy and cloudy.

Now I will tell you how to tolerate the cold water better if you have no choice when showering. Take a 1/4 tabo (dipper) of cold water and cup a small portion of water into your hand, which will start warming it. Rub it on the back of your neck. Repeat over and again... applying and rubbing small amounts to the spinal hollow of your lower back and then your shoulders. Continue over the other noticeable cold-sensitive parts of your anatomy. Your skin and nerves will adjust. Then you just slowly amp up the tabu volumes till you're at normal volume. Some people like cold-water shock, but I don't, although I used to like using the cold water dip pool beside the heat and steam rooms back in the states when I was younger. Guess I'm not a Spartan anymore, but an old Roman who prefers the hot baths to the cold. :)

• Like 1