Keep The Faith

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Moved to Davao City just over a month now. I've been to the Philippines (Davao City) 4 times before and decided to retire here. Now that we have settled and are remodeling our home, we are ready to find a church home as well. We were going to Calvary Chapel Riverside California for the last two years. I am not sure that Calvary Chapel Davao City is from the same organization. We are not looking for denominational churches at all. So.... that leaves me with asking my friends here. Where do you go to church?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Moved to Davao City just over a month now. I've been to the Philippines (Davao City) 4 times before and decided to retire here. Now that we have settled and are remodeling our home, we are ready to find a church home as well. We were going to Calvary Chapel Riverside California for the last two years. I am not sure that Calvary Chapel Davao City is from the same organization. We are not looking for denominational churches at all. So.... that leaves me with asking my friends here. Where do you go to church?
I was not able to find a non-denominational church in my area. I had to choose between Catholic, Latter Day Saints, or Jehovaoh's Witness. Given those choices, I decided I'd worship at home. Good luck finding something. I'm not sure this thread will be left open because we're not supposed to discuss religion on the forum. If you want to know more about my experiences looking for a church, send me a PM.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I was not able to find a non-denominational church in my area. I had to choose between Catholic, Latter Day Saints, or Jehovaoh's Witness. Given those choices, I decided I'd worship at home. Good luck finding something. I'm not sure this thread will be left open because we're not supposed to discuss religion on the forum. If you want to know more about my experiences looking for a church, send me a PM.
Discussing religion and asking about different churches are two different things IMHO. I would not close a thread like this unless members start to stray from the op's original direction, and then it would be those members whose posts would end up deleted. As for religion, I am not expert on much and even less on religion since I also believe in praying at home or wherever I happen to be when the need arises. My niece lives in Davao and she goes to one of the IGLESIA NI CRISTO churches so me asking her for Hosea probably would not help either. I hope other members can help with Hosea's question.BTW, Hosea welcome back to the forum and we hope you will continue to ask questions and give members information about the area you live and anything else that you can contribute.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the welcome. Sorry if I offended anyone with this discussion. I know many are confused with the difference between religion and relationship. To some of us, it is almost everything. It was not my intent to discuss my belief system or anyone's religion. My question was only in regards to looking for a non denominational church in Davao City. I am concerned now, as a member of this forum. Is there really a restriction on religion or belief systems here? I personally have no intentions on judging anyone for what they believe in here. I sometimes do enjoy discussing just about anything. Hope these subjects are not excluded for some strange reason or reasons. The way I see it, you can, change the channel (go to a different thread). If it is a problem for this forum, guess I will do the changing.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thank you for the welcome. Sorry if I offended anyone with this discussion. I know many are confused with the difference between religion and relationship. To some of us, it is almost everything. It was not my intent to discuss my belief system or anyone's religion. My question was only in regards to looking for a non denominational church in Davao City. I am concerned now, as a member of this forum. Is there really a restriction on religion or belief systems here? I personally have no intentions on judging anyone for what they believe in here. I sometimes do enjoy discussing just about anything. Hope these subjects are not excluded for some strange reason or reasons. The way I see it, you can, change the channel (go to a different thread). If it is a problem for this forum, guess I will do the changing.
I do not think anyone was offened by your question. I think the concern TheMason voiced was because most forums and including this one, do not allow actual religion discussions and that is why I posted what I did and that your question was OK with the forum staff. So to answer your question, no and yes. Because we all have often very different beliefs, and because religion and politics can often lead to heated discussions on who is correct and who thinks they are correct, so it is best to not discuss actual issues of religion. I and the other forum staff saw nothing wrong with your question and how you asked it but if you were to get into discussing your religion verses another members beliefs, than that would not be allowed. Myself and other sometime say God bless or with Gods will and that is non descriptive, so as long as we keep it that way, then hopefully there will be no one complaining and no arguments. I hope that explains it for you and if you will please click on the rules at the top of the forum and read them again then you will see what is allowed and what is not. Now with all that said, any member is welcome to post in the topic I posted asking for suggestions to improve the forum and what members would like to see, and sometimes the owner is willing to try things to see how they go but I am sure in depth religious items would not get approved.http://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...ost&p=11199

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I wasn't offended at all. When I first moved here, I posted an identical question on a different forum. I had the approval of the moderators before posting, but it was deleted anyway. The censorship really turned me off and is one of the main reasons I no longer participate in that forum. I like this forum a lot, so rather than repeat the same experience here, I figured I'd keep my comments to myself until the forum staff had a chance to chime in.I live in Baguio, so I don't know if the situation is the same in Davao or not. The only nondenominational churches I found were in Manila, and they were all too orthodox and extreme in their teachings. I never found one I was even remotely comfortable in. All the ones I attended were in the Manila area.When trying the denominational churches, I had a hard time fitting in to them for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I did not really believe in the doctrine being preached and I felt like an apostate. Aside from that, as a foreigner I had to deal with unrealistic expectations about my contribution level. I earn a small monthly income and tithed accordingly. I was frequently asked to donate to special causes. I don't have an issue with tithing to support the church but I was uncomfortable with the additional requests.One of the things I do like about going to church here is that there is generally a laid back, welcoming atmosphere. I was welcomed with open arms at every church I went to. A few of the clergy balked when I told them I did not want to convert, just attend weekly services, but by and large I was pleased with the welcome I received.I wish I had specific info about Davao to offer, but I've never been there. Good luck in your search for a spiritual home. Edited by TheMason

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Thank you again. Your comments are and were very helpful and informative. I have been very interested in Baguio City. The climate sounds more like where I wanted to live but, you won't believe this but I am terrified of heights. A six foot ladder can be difficult for me. I was told the road to Baguio City can be narrow and cliffy. I once thought about helping a certain denominational pastor with starting a church. He was very convincing in the gold he set and where I would fit in. He was looking for twelve faithful men and he felt I was just the kind of man he was looking for. I took his conversation to my dad (who was a minister). My dad spoke without hesitation and very personally to me and said that I would very quickly feel uncomfortable in that church. I knew as he was telling me that eventually I would feel just as he suggested. I never did contact that pastor again. Like you I have bounced hear and there in these forums. Some have helped us quite a bit with our immigration needs. Often though some people sound childish in their responses. I was even chastised once when a moderator felt my subject didn't fit the category my discussion was in. Anyway, thank you for the info and I will keep looking and will post what I find here just in case someone else is looking. If someone doesn't get in the way.....if you know what I mean.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum Hosea, good to see you here. Know of you from a forum I used to participate in.I was going to suggest that you could start a Bible study or even have simple services in your home. However you being a Foreigner to invite people into your home could create difficulties. If you don't mind my asking, is your forum "name" is taken from Deuteronomy?

Edited by Old55

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Thank you again. Your comments are and were very helpful and informative. I have been very interested in Baguio City. The climate sounds more like where I wanted to live but, you won't believe this but I am terrified of heights. A six foot ladder can be difficult for me. I was told the road to Baguio City can be narrow and cliffy.
I always take the Victory bus line and have been pleased with the condition of their buses and the driving habits of their drivers. Either my wife or I make the 7-hour trip to Manila at least once a month, usually more, and have not had any problems. Just don't come during typhoon season because the road can be bad that time of year. If the heights bother you, request a seat near the back on the same side as the driver, and close the curtain on your window. You won't be able to see the road much and you should be ok. Once you're in Baguio, there are a few roads that have steep drops on the side but if you stay in the center of town, it's just up and down hills with no drops on the side. Baguio is a nice city and the weather can't be beat. I can't tolerate the hot and humid weather so this is a great place for me. We don't have airconditioning and seldom need to run a fan. If you decide to head up this way, let me know you're coming and we can meet up.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the welcome old55. Hope what you remember from the other site is good things of me. I can be very opinionated for better or worst in some people's mind. I try not to offend anyone. Yes, Hosea is my given name. I was due Christmas day but there was a heavy snow storm and the doctor was over heard to say "Tomorrow is Christmas, this baby is coming out now". So I was born Christmas Eve. My mom had already decided on names from the Bible. Both of my names represents a sort of savior. Although I don't think I can save anyone, I do feel a desire to help when and where I can. Interesting you would mention having a Bible study in our home to solve the problem of finding a church that fits our needs. I also came to the same conclusion as you. Although my wife plans to have Sunday school for the little ones here. Mostly those in the family. Hey, I have always loved the 55 and 56. 57 wasn't all that bad either.