Filipinos Abroad. Coming On Holiday Or Returning Home! ( Finding It Hard To Adapt)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess what I am trying to say is that from those I have talked to just don't like being seen as an ATM all the time (sound familiar?  )

Not sure I want to say much More tonight, I don't feel too well, all I will say is that when I started this, I thought it may have been Tongue in cheek but from the Responses , which have been Positive, has given the Topic a food for thought  Direction.

So as I close for the night can I say Thank You all for your sensitivity and Honesty in your Posts, I try not to go too provocative sometimes and this has meant a lot to me to have Friends and Fellow members Understanding something that is Important to out Lives here, It is Important if we are to Totally Understand the Filipino ( well as best we can.)

From me, Thank You for the replies to a Topic that is as good as it can get.

Jack :thumbsup:  

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

K arrived in Britain two months ago; she is turning into an Englishwoman* at warp factor five, but is as yet unaware that she is doing so.  

She has yet to go home for the first time and be confronted with the hands held out and with being told that she is now thinking of herself as better than those at home. It will be quite a shock to her.

She does not think of herself as any different to what she was; she is unaware of how she is changing. Her nearest Filipino is her seven year old son, who is changing just as fast. He loves his English school, where he has made better friends than he had in the Philippines.   

K arrived having made an effort to buy, in Manila, clothes that would blend in in the UK. Of course, they didn't quite do so, but two months of buying English clothes, boots and cosmetics and doing her own nails and she passes for a native. 

When she goes home, she will stick out as a balikbayan.

* Not necessarily a bad thing; a Filipina in her native haunts seldom buys a bikini and never a suspender belt (garter belt if you are American) .

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

It seems we are the beneficiary of reverse racism here.  We, obvious foreigners, get the "Hi Sir"  or Hi Boss" while returning OFWs get "He/she thinks they are so high now they have money".

I don't think I would return if I was a retiring OFW, OR, if I retired here it would be in a city where childhood friends and relatives do not live.  But that's just my imaginings, if it really happened I may think different.

I think that is a really important point.

Balikbayans are subjected to accusations of disloyalty to the Philippines and expected to counter this by being extra generous to their relatives. The Presidential campaign of Grace Poe and the attacks made on her by her opponents illustrate this very well. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I've heard both sides from Filipinos living in Canada.  There are those who have been in Toronto a very long time and are longing for the day to come when they have retired and their children have flown the coop (also here in Toronto) so they can take up residence in the Philippines again.  And then there are those who are afraid that they will be besieged by requests for money by their relatives in the Philippines.

We are relieved that the latter is not a concern.  Her friends and relatives in the Philippines do very well.  And, we are retiring to an island where she had no earlier ties.  So, no one knew her before, and would be in any position to remark that living in Canada has changed her into a snob.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Great topic, great response from all

• Like 1