Drains

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our dirty kitchen is 80 feet from the street and has a 4 inch pipe. A few times, it has become plugged, likely from too much oil,  rice and other food being put down the drain. I have strainers, but.....We have only one catch basin near to the kitchen so I am going to install 2 more at equal spaces. We use a green bamboo stick and a submersible 3/4 inch 6 meter head pump to flush.

Even though unsightly, a dirty kitchen near to the street would have less problems.

Any ideas?

Edited by jpbago

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
 Our dirty kitchen is 80 feet from the street and has a 4 inch pipe. A few times, it has become plugged

Any house I have ever rented from a filipino owner has an open gutter from the sink in the dirty kitchen to wherever it drains (usually the street) and it gets full of crap often.  It is a daily chore to clean the gutter but if the same crap is going into your 4 inch pipe then it sounds like a lot more work that just cleaning the gutter.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You could try straining the water before it goes down the sink and putting the waste food into the trash.Otherwise you are going to continue to have a problem.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You could try straining the water before it goes down the sink and putting the waste food into the trash.Otherwise you are going to continue to have a problem.

If I told them once, I told them 1,000 times. It is like getting them to close a door or a drawer. They never had drains before as they washed everything at the pump. They had rice sacks for doors which closed (or opened) by themselves.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If I told them once, I told them 1,000 times. It is like getting them to close a door or a drawer. They never had drains before as they washed everything at the pump. They had rice sacks for doors which closed (or opened) by themselves.

In One, Sorry to have to agree. It really is all about 3rd World Hygiene.  I had a Sink Plug hole mesh Cover made. it works unless one of them just turns it up and over and still rinsed it all down the Plug hole. The other thing is washing up in Cold water. I keep a 3 liter Flask of Hot water by the Sink for when I do the dishes.

Sorry if this sounds Draconian but...............................post-2148-0-44713700-1452663156_thumb.jp

jack :)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Any ideas?

One just came to me.  Most sinks have a 'gooseneck' in the drain which serves to trap water and prevent sewer gas from backing up.  That gooseneck often clogs with hair and debris so I know it traps a lot of crap.  What about a second, much larger, 'gooseneck' in your 4 inch pipe, whose purpose is to allow debris and crap to sink to the bottom and get cleaned out?

It would look something like this

http://www.amazon.com/PermaFLOW-PF07001-Drain-P-Trap-Retrofit/dp/B0021L9BXS

51Kdo0yPfOL._SY450_.jpg

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

What about a second, much larger, 'gooseneck' in your 4 inch pipe, whose purpose is to allow debris and crap to sink to the bottom and get cleaned out?

Basically, that is what a catch basin is. You see them on streets in cities outside of PI. It is where bad guys throw their guns or knives.

post-2913-0-81363700-1452669934_thumb.jp

post-2913-0-74104200-1452669962.jpg

Water comes in one side, the heavier stuff falls to the bottom and then the water flows out the other side. Ours is connected to a storm drain too so if there is a heavy rain, then too much flow goes through taking some of the sediment with it. Our catch basin is 10 feet from the start then 70 feet to the street so if we put in 2 more, we will catch more plus make it easier to clean the pipes on both sides of the basin.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When we put in our dirt Kitchen we made it with it's own tank 1 x 1 x 2.5 meter Open Bottom Gravel over Earth post-2148-0-13076300-1452670670_thumb.jp You can see the Man hole Cover under the Plant Fore front Right. That way it Interferes with nothing from the House post-2148-0-70624300-1452670844_thumb.jp Seemed the best Solution to us. 2 nd Picture shows it a little better i think Under the square Flower pot on the Right.

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
with it's own tank 1 x 1 x 2.5 meter Open Bottom Gravel over Earth 

With our layout, it is not possible to separate the DK from the storm drains. Yours is good with just a short run from the sink to the tank. The tank is like a small septic tank. Where does your inside kitchen and showers drain? Our inside kitchen goes to the same catch basin, the showers go outside.

Our recent problem was from the debut with lots of cleaning of cooking pots, servers, and dishes. Overload! 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

with it's own tank 1 x 1 x 2.5 meter Open Bottom Gravel over Earth 

With our layout, it is not possible to separate the DK from the storm drains. Yours is good with just a short run from the sink to the tank. The tank is like a small septic tank. Where does your inside kitchen and showers drain? Our inside kitchen goes to the same catch basin, the showers go outside.

Our recent problem was from the debut with lots of cleaning of cooking pots, servers, and dishes. Overload! 

The Kichen and Storm Water on one side of the House Goes through 3 catch basins and then on the 3 x 2 x 2.5 Grey water tank about 40 meters by the Exterior wall The CR's go to the Large Septic 4.5 x .2.5 X 3 meter Septic. The Grey water & Storm water goes through 3 Catch basins to a Separate 3 X 2.5 X 2.5  Tank on the opposite side of the House to the Dirty Kitchen. Plenty of tanks but we have been caught out before so this time we tried to make sure. All seem to be Working Well

Jack  :thumbsup:

• Like 1