Decision Time 2016. Crunch Time Now Or Later?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Again though, it's a chance for me to lift myself back to where I was 5 years ago.

Lets hope in the Time Frame, that neither Country change too many rules, Chris, you realize you may lose your 13a.

You can no longer do the Annual report at an Embassy it has to be a Personal Presence here in the PI. You can do it by proxy but

to me that is a slippery slope you won't be Needing. When is your next ACR renewal?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think we all understand your quandry but on face value, I wonder whether this is worth the upheaval it will cause to your family. Maybe try and work towards something that will give Gina additional income when the time comes for you to check out? I know she is one feisty and competent woman!

Agree on the feisty and competent, but unlike your partner Gina is not college level and consider where we are living. 

They (her sister and cousin and G.) have a project going now during the Fiesta season, BBQ, Halo Halo and etc....after my contribution we are already in the red, but they might get 100/day each.

It goes round and round mate, like your problem of where to live down the road.

I'm due to go home that's for sure. Whether I stay or not is another thing.[

quote name=mogo51' timestamp='1453104474' post='172341] You are allowed 4 weeks a year out of the country each year,

Sadly on resumption of residency you don't get 4 weeks/year. That's for DSP recipients under the new rules. I might get 2 weeks on appeal with loss of pension during the time out, but it's something.

As for being around long term. Our mutual acquaintance recently passed at 53. But I think I can go longer. That's today, not sure what tomorrow may bring.

Gina btw says go, she says the long term security is the priority. 

I know you are thorough when you do your homework.  I was of the view I read that you were still allowed 4 weeks away?  The bast.ds never stop stiffing us.  Sorry for the misinformation.  

If, as I suspect, you are committed to this, do it and get it over with.  Look at it from the angle of early suffering for longer quality of life at the end.

I assume you were talking about returns to Oz, to maintain your concession card?   Every 26 weeks is a pain in the axxse.

S.O and I have had some good conversations about where and when to move, 18 months is  the agreed time. I am down to 2 places 

Dumaguete or Iloilo, with a leaning towards the latter, but waiting till we can check them out.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This is probably a silly question but how would they know?

If you went back to Australia on your Aussie passport and then snuck out for a visit using your American passport, how would the bureaucrats know that you were out of the country for a month?

chris49
Posted
Posted

Again though, it's a chance for me to lift myself back to where I was 5 years ago.

Lets hope in the Time Frame, that neither Country change too many rules, Chris, you realize you may lose your 13a.

You can no longer do the Annual report at an Embassy it has to be a Personal Presence here in the PI. You can do it by proxy but

to me that is a slippery slope you won't be Needing. When is your next ACR renewal?

I'm just 7 months in on my 2nd renewal Jack. May 2020 and I would not want to lose it.

Annual Report....yes, you have 30 days to make up the arrears if out of the country. Maybe use my one visit to catch up if over a year.

The Aussie government will tighten the rules Jack, inevitably.

chris49
Posted
Posted

This is probably a silly question but how would they know?

If you went back to Australia on your Aussie passport and then snuck out for a visit using your American passport, how would the bureaucrats know that you were out of the country for a month?

Right. You can't. You would have to enter on your US Passport and exit same. Your Aussie Passport shows that you are out of the country since your last exit. Immigration is linked to Centrelink our Welfare and Pension Agency....nah, no matter how many ways you think about it, it wont work.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
I assume you were talking about returns to Oz, to maintain your concession card?   Every 26 weeks is a pain in the axxse.

Yes there is that. But if it ever lapses (I hear they are slow to enforce that) you can renew it by establishing residency again, can;t you?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Chris I Truly feel your decision making pain. Had similar how ever my decision was made easier by the NZ gov requiring 5 years in NZ.

We talked this over and just did not make sense at 65. So decided to replace car, bought some toys, build our home and live frugally. OK do not have a child to support but at a later stage of life to live apart and to finance this life in NZ just did not add up in our case.

We chose quality over qantity, what ever your out come wish you the very best.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris I Truly feel your decision making pain. Had similar how ever my decision was made easier by the NZ gov requiring 5 years in NZ.

We talked this over and just did not make sense at 65. So decided to replace car, bought some toys, build our home and live frugally. OK do not have a child to support but at a later stage of life to live apart and to finance this life in NZ just did not add up in our case.

We chose quality over qantity, what ever your out come wish you the very best.

5 years is too hard, presumably after 65, who knows how many would even survive that.

Our Aussie Greek Immigrants, who along with the Italians built up our country after WW2. And in both cases are our strongest earlier immigration groups. The Greeks got the lobby and got the vote to take their pensions back to Greece. Hence there are 70, 000 Aussie Pensioners living in Greece with no need to report back. Born Aussies don't get such a sweet deal, but at least if living in Austalia as a citizen the awarding is fairly automatic.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Chris, you say the cash is @ 60.000 pm now and Gina would live on 50% of that when you are away. Yes?

So why not do that now live on the 50 % and get your car?

Just a thought here As we say more than one way to skin a cat :)

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Chris, you say the cash is @ 60.000 pm now and Gina would live on 50% of that when you are away. Yes?

So why not do that now live on the 50 % and get your car?

Just a thought here As we say more than one way to skin a cat :)

Jack :thumbsup:

Jack, that's too easy. We do have other things going on. Like 2 private school enrollments coming up within 3 years.

30 k/ month, as we have discussed with our new member from Sweden (Astril?) cuts it too fine, and then you have fluctuations in the exchange rate.

I'm thinking more of 2 years savings and either buying used or installment on a new car. I would not risk that on my current income.

EDIT: if the plan does go ahead and kids only here in  Day Care 100 metres from the house Gina's allowance is reduced a bit more. She has her motorcycle payment but it will finish sometime in 2017.

Edited by chris49