A Seldom Discussed Conjugal Topic; Inheriting

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

A very real issue. I have read many stories where this has happened and know a person who this "mandatory" beneficiary law kicked in - surprise! 

As far as the bank account, can you be added as an authorized use to her account? If not, what would be involved with a business type account, again with you as authorized user. If either of your two stated scenarios happen you could then just empty the account before informing the bank.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Many of us live with filipinas in a conjugal relationship without the benefit of marriage.  This relationship is not without its drawbacks and they need to be discussed.

I went to the bank today and put a bit of money into a savings account for "Y".  I figured it was wise that she had money that was accessible to her in the event of emergencies and other situations.

As she was opening the account I went and had a private word with my friendly bank manager about being named as beneficiary in case she had a fatal accident or illness.  He said I cannot do that.  He said that an unmarried woman, by law, leaves everything to her parents in the event of her death.  He said the only solution is to marry her.  If we have no kids then I would be her sole beneficiary.  He said we could go to a lawyer to draw up a will for her to leave everything to me but it is likely her parents would contest it and they would probably win because she is not married to me and the law supports her parents being the beneficiary.

Just some stuff to consider for those who put house and lot and car and money into live in partner's name in Philippines.

Very timely Dave. Been thinking on the subject off and on.

Mother-in-Law owns our land. Father in Law is a bit older, MIL will probably outlive him. The land goes to the oldest son in the event of her death. But we paid a "deposit" and hold the Title. However, 2 other sons do occupy the land, and if we do eventually purchase the land and get a Deed of Sale to Gina, we would have to pay their share. We get a discount on Gina's share and MIL who will be happy to get a payment and stay for life. But I'm not willing to let 2 brothers occupy the land free, if we take the ownership.

This is not a problem currently but will be in the future. And people have been killed over a lot less.

And then on the Bank Account. For various reasons (Gina has an account now with about 40 k in it), I'm reluctant to run that higher. So many things can happen and moreso if people know she's holding a larger amount.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Wow so much to think about here boys,it's gave me a headache,

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Wow so much to think about here boys,it's gave me a headache,

Not so much a problem for you legally married guys.  Its just us rebels who stand to lose out.

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I am Married to my Filipina Wife.

whose mother passed away Recently the mother lived in " The Family Home " which my wife had built and furnished.

And since we have been here we have had repairs done and are still repairing " The family home "

One of the wifes cousins recently told her that the now eldest brother is going to rent out  "The Family Home " !!

Families who knows what they are going to do next !!

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yep that's what i was on about the house thing,our house, or is it the family house,

How much have I invested in this house, well not that much where I could say sod it and walk away from,

Many know my story about the house and what I paid for, but who is to stop the family stepping in and saying its mine that is ,usually when money is involved they all want there so called cut

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Which is very similar to the position my gf is in, i.e. her sister built the house, furnished the house and paid all the medical bills for her parents but the elder brother says it is his "rightful inheritance" I have a lot to learn.

• Like 2