A Seldom Discussed Conjugal Topic; Inheriting

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I tried to get a Social Insurance Number for her after being together for 4 years but could not hence I cannot claim spouse or dependent deductions.

No need for a S.I.N.  I claimed spouse deduction and told them where she lived and explained our situation.  Just cannot claim child benefits if the child does not live in country.  You need to research

Non-Resident Spouse

http://www.taxtips.ca/filing/spousal-amount-tax-credit.htm

Thanks Dave. To return the favor, this week when you go to the Why Not, order whatever you want and tell the waiter to put it on jp's tab.

the other jp

• Like 3

lets_take_a_look
Posted
Posted

I have a question if my sweetheart passes on then everything will go to her father the question her father has a new live in wife they have 2 girls 14 and 8 now if the father passes does the wife get the house she does have an older sister

Do you mean that your sweetheart has an older sister or that her father's wife has an older sister?

Is your question -- if your pass away, who inherits your wife's property after she inherits from you?

robert k
Posted
Posted

timestamp="1454060465"]

I have a question if my sweetheart passes on then everything will go to her father the question her father has a new live in wife they have 2 girls 14 and 8 now if the father passes does the wife get the house she does have an older sister

Look at Jack Petersons post #18 and follow the link. Also read the comments below the article as they follow closely all I have heard before where people actually backed it up with links to the actual law.

Jerry, you are unclear on whether your father in law is already married to someone other than his live in wife.

I don't know if a common law wife you are not married to because you are already married can inherit because she would be admitting to adultery which is a crime and most places a court will not allow you to profit from a crime unless you are a politician or from the elite class but any illegitimate children of your wife's father would be compulsory heirs also.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Just my 2 cents on the matter. If one is dedicated enough to a woman to start a bank account for her, buy land or property with her, for her or for himself in her name then why not marry? Or the other logical option to me is to hold of on that sort of thing (bank, property, house) until you are sure you want to marry her.

Another option is to see if you can start a second account of your own and just give her the card and PIN and deposit what amounts you want her to have access to in that. Final option would be to give her cash. I still think marriage or waiting until you are sure would be the best. Like I said just my 2 cents. Also maybe this has all been suggested before but I got to dizzy to read after the first dozen posts or so. I will try to catch up later.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I mentioned this long ago but it is important enough to mention it again:

When anyone dies, the "next of kin" is requested for the death certificate.  This death certificate is then presented to the bank and, in lieu of a will, the next of kin must ALL sign off on the disposition of the funds before the bank will release the money.

This became important when my Australian friend (married 20 years to a filipina) died in Australia.  The filipina wife came back to Philippines to claim the money from her husband's account.  Unfortunately, the "next of kin" on the death certificate mentioned the wife AND 3 older, married daughters from a previous marriage.  The daughters never approved of their father's marriage to the filipina lady and flat out refused to sign anything related to that bank account.  It means the money is still in the bank (as far as I know) and nobody can touch it.

Perhaps we all need wills, foreigner and filipina, married or not, to avoid these kinds of problems.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If one is dedicated enough to a woman to start a bank account for her, buy land or property with her, for her or for himself in her name then why not marry? Or the other logical option to me is to hold of on that sort of thing (bank, property, house) until you are sure you want to marry her.

Red tape, bureaucracy, laziness, saving up for a nice wedding for her, can't get to Manila to get the papers from the embassy that are required, etc, etc.  It is not as easy as back in the 1st world where you simply go to Vegas and get 'er done.  But these are all just excuses so I, for one, will do it . . .   one day, but not today.

• Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Red tape, bureaucracy, laziness, saving up for a nice wedding for her, can't get to Manila to get the papers from the embassy that are required, etc, etc.  It is not as easy as back in the 1st world where you simply go to Vegas and get 'er done.

I understand, it was the same for me here in Mexico as far as red tape and bureaucracy but the last 2 I just had to buckle down and go through the processes and we just did our best to try to keep the wedding as simple as possible and it all worked out. Even a nice wedding can be done on the cheap here in Mexico and I'm sure even cheaper in the PI. Again just my 2 cents but I would think going through and getting over all of the above would be worth it when property, houses and bank accounts are at stake. No?

• Like 3