Tv Content From 'home'

Marina_1990
Posted
Posted

Hi

I just started doing research for my university work and am doing some research learn about TV being broadcasted in foreign countries. In other words, are you as an expat able to watch TV from your home country in a convenient way. 

I know many expats have problems and there are some solutions our there. I am curious to learn about those solutions and how you manage to watch the news, series and other TV content from 'home'. Would you be willing to help out? My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV. Much appreciate your time and help! 

Kindest regards, Marina

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV.

In a word, KODI. Its free.  Its available to all.  It provides quality reliable TV and it is easy to use for everyone except me  :hystery:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I just started doing research for my university work and am doing some research learn about TV being broadcasted in foreign countries.

Strange since you work for a software company.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
TV from your home country

It would really depend on what "home" country your referring to Marina. With our TV plan we get a lot of programing from the USA. Only other is the BBC news. I have seen plans where a person can subscribe to other types, like Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV.

In a word, KODI. Its free.  Its available to all.  It provides quality reliable TV and it is easy to use for everyone except me  :hystery:

That's interesting Dave, how does KODI work? I guess you are having problems with it then?

When I was living in Thailand I used a system called 'Thai Expat TV' which I have since brought over to Phils with me. It's not free, but subscription based, but gives a large selection of UK TV channels. I would be interested to hear how others receive UK channels. Amazon have brought out a thing called Fire TV which I would be interested in but I believe I would need a proxy server via the UK for it to work as it doesn't work over here. As a 'muppet' when it comes to computers that would be way over my head.

I have a 'smart' TV which looks as though it might be useful in accessing UK channels but unfortunately I am not so smart as to understand how to use it. It is great for You Tube though. I have found a huge selection of UK programmes on it, unfortunately the picture quality tends to be poor though.

Ken

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
That's interesting Dave, how does KODI work? I guess you are having problems with it then?

I love it and I am not having huge problems with it BUT once installed and opened it can only do what you tell it to do.  So setting it up to find the tv shows and movies I want to watch is frustratingly complicated (for me) but when you get it working it is like a search engine to find and initiate all the free, streaming movies or TV shows that are available on the Internet.  Seems like it would be a fantastic addition to a Smart TV.  I use it to watch movies on my laptop.

bows00
Posted
Posted
That's interesting Dave, how does KODI work?

KODI is an interface (like Windows) for streaming movies, TV programs, and even live sporting events through the internet.  It can be installed to on your PC (windows and Macs), but the cheapest way to get it is through a Kindle Fire TV Stick ($40 US).  Once KODI is installed, you have to install applications that will connect to various streams.  With the correct application, it can stream just about every movie available on DVD, and even movies currently playing in Theatres.  It can even be used to stream all American NFL football games, NBA basketball games, and even MMA pay per view events.  

And yes, I agree, it is not the easiest thing to install (You Tube for step by step instructions), but there are ways around this.  I purchased a Stream Smart box ($350US?) with KODI preinstalled with all the best applications.  A wizard installs and updates the applications for you. 

Oh, yes, the most important thing is you need a good internet connection - minimum 5 mbs - I have around 30 mbs and it runs great. 

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

This is a good topic.  My mother is from Japan and I am trying to convince her to live with me in the Philippines so I could care for her there.  It would be an impossible task if there were no Japanese television available... 

robert k
Posted
Posted

I believe I have seen mini-computer TV boxes on Gearbest with KODI for less than 4kphp. They would also turn your TV into a basic computer with 2GB ram and the same processor as a low cost netbook or tablet. Maybe not a great number cruncher but good for net surfing and media consumption.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

When I was living in Thailand I used a system called 'Thai Expat TV' which I have since brought over to Phils with me. It's not free, but subscription based, but gives a large selection of UK TV channels. I would be interested to hear how others receive UK channels. Amazon have brought out a thing called Fire TV which I would be interested in but I believe I would need a proxy server via the UK for it to work as it doesn't work over here. As a 'muppet' when it comes to computers that would be way over my head.

I have a 'smart' TV which looks as though it might be useful in accessing UK channels but unfortunately I am not so smart as to understand how to use it. It is great for You Tube though. I have found a huge selection of UK programmes on it, unfortunately the picture quality tends to be poor though.

Ken

There is an app called UKip TV which allows viewing of all tv channels on freeview, apparently it works better with Android than Apple. I haven't used it, just heard about it from a friend. Try searching for it in the App Store of your device.