Tv Content From 'home'

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV.

In a word, KODI. Its free.  Its available to all.  It provides quality reliable TV and it is easy to use for everyone except me  :hystery:

That's interesting Dave, how does KODI work? I guess you are having problems with it then?

When I was living in Thailand I used a system called 'Thai Expat TV' which I have since brought over to Phils with me. It's not free, but subscription based, but gives a large selection of UK TV channels. I would be interested to hear how others receive UK channels. Amazon have brought out a thing called Fire TV which I would be interested in but I believe I would need a proxy server via the UK for it to work as it doesn't work over here. As a 'muppet' when it comes to computers that would be way over my head.

I have a 'smart' TV which looks as though it might be useful in accessing UK channels but unfortunately I am not so smart as to understand how to use it. It is great for You Tube though. I have found a huge selection of UK programmes on it, unfortunately the picture quality tends to be poor though.

Ken

There is an app called UKip TV which allows viewing of all tv channels on freeview, apparently it works better with Android than Apple. I haven't used it, just heard about it from a friend. Try searching for it in the App Store of your device.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a PR mouthpiece for Nigel Farage. I will check it out to see what it's about.

Ken

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a PR mouthpiece for Nigel Farage. I will check it out to see what it's about.

Ken

That's the first thought I had too!!

fred
Posted
Posted

I dont have an android phone..Or any phone for that matter!

I watch UK TV like this.. I go to the "film on" website,click "free" and then "TV guide" and watch it live... So far no buffering or streaming issues.. Nothing to download or sign up for...I connect the laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable.

https://www.filmon.com/tvguide/cbeebiesbbc-four

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

For the little I, and fortunately my wife too, watch TV we are contented with the cable channels aka the movie channels and the news channels. Download some movies occasionally (torrents) and that is it!

Benington
Posted
Posted

There are so many free sites on the internet to watch foreign TV. Filmon has already been mentioned, then there's viewabroad.com (also from Filmon) which does just UK channels. Or there's a big selection of channels on sites like livetvcafe.net, time4tv (mostly for sport), webcric (an Indian site for cricket). These sites offer a number of streams and it is often necessary to change stream to maintain a watchable picture. Adblocker is useful with these sites though recently some of them have made its use difficult.

I am mostly interested in watching BBC programmes and with a suitable VPN or Proxy one also watch live from the BBC iPlayer site. However, because my 1MB internet often slows up too much to watch ,and, because of the time difference, I much prefer to download. This can most easily be done through the BBC iPlayer Downloader. Playback is now of good quality after a new version was introduced a couple of years ago.

Youtube has already been mentioned and there are also torrents, which can be easily accessed through search engines such as Torrentz.eu - as long as they are not banned by your ISP. Popular BBC programmes don't take long to be uploaded, but I find that the playback quality can be rather variable.

A word of warning though -  the BBC have recently been cracking down on many VPNs and Proxies to block access to their iPlayer and Downloader. I have found DNS Proxies to be, for now, anyway, preferable to VPNs if one only wants unblocking solutions and not general anonymized surfing.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV.

In a word, KODI. Its free.  Its available to all.  It provides quality reliable TV and it is easy to use for everyone except me  :hystery:

Do you use the add on called Genisis for TV shows or is there a better one? With Genisis, some of the episodes in a series have "No Stream Available"

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Do you use the add on called Genesis

Yes, that is my most commonly used one.

Marina_1990
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used IPTV? Can you share your experience? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used IPTV? Can you share your experience? 

Not sure why you use forums to gain knowledge since you work for a software company and are not doing University research as you first said. Why doesn't your boss do some proper research besides posting this exact same topic in expats forums world wide. 

• Like 2