Anyone Using Pldt Fibr?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if anyone has tried out PLDT Fibr and if so, what was their experience?

Regular DSL (Globe and PLDT) here in Subic is not very good if you need bandwidth.  I have never had PLDT DSL here but those I have talked to said it is adequate at best.  I have Globe "up to" 3 mbps DSL now and it is slow.  More like up to 1 mbps.

About a year ago I checked into the PLDT Fibr service offered here in our neighborhood.  The company is Subictel, a subsidiary of PLDT, so the packages are not exactly what you will find on the PLDT website.  A year ago, the cheapest package was p3500 / mo for 8 MBPS with cable tv and phone included.  We will be moving in a few months and I had already made up my mind that I would have to bite the bullet and pay this price for what is not very fast service, but at least decent.

We noticed they (PLDT) have been working on the lines that last few months.  I stopped by the office today to see what was available.  I was happy to find out that they have upgraded and are offering much higher speeds and better packages for the same pricing.

p3500 / mo now gets you "up to" 50 mbps.  I ask what their guarantee was, and they said 60% of the stated speed (they also offer 100, 200 mbps and 1 gbps packages).  The cable TV in the package includes 66 standard def channels and 11 HD channels.  You have to pay an extra p230 a month for each cable set top box you need.  I think phone service is included but I don't see that on the papers I have.

Biting the bullet is a bit easier at these speeds but still expensive.  Any takers out there who can comment?

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

OMW,

I am not living there yet so cannot comment on residential application of fiber optic.  However, our last two trips to the PI, we had stayed in a few different hotel locations in Manila and Alabang that offered fiber optic.  Just like here in the good ole US of A, it worked super fast,...almost dare I say instant.  I did not do a speed test.  Didn't matter at that time.  I was just too excited to have fast internet and wanted to get all I could at the time.  I have not priced it in the Philippines but in the US I consider it unaffordable or at least unnecessary at almost $100 per month in my area. 

Keep us informed as to your decision.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if anyone has tried out PLDT Fibr and if so, what was their experience?

Regular DSL (Globe and PLDT) here in Subic is not very good if you need bandwidth.  I have never had PLDT DSL here but those I have talked to said it is adequate at best.  I have Globe "up to" 3 mbps DSL now and it is slow.  More like up to 1 mbps.

About a year ago I checked into the PLDT Fibr service offered here in our neighborhood.  The company is Subictel, a subsidiary of PLDT, so the packages are not exactly what you will find on the PLDT website.  A year ago, the cheapest package was p3500 / mo for 8 MBPS with cable tv and phone included.  We will be moving in a few months and I had already made up my mind that I would have to bite the bullet and pay this price for what is not very fast service, but at least decent.

We noticed they (PLDT) have been working on the lines that last few months.  I stopped by the office today to see what was available.  I was happy to find out that they have upgraded and are offering much higher speeds and better packages for the same pricing.

p3500 / mo now gets you "up to" 50 mbps.  I ask what their guarantee was, and they said 60% of the stated speed (they also offer 100, 200 mbps and 1 gbps packages).  The cable TV in the package includes 66 standard def channels and 11 HD channels.  You have to pay an extra p230 a month for each cable set top box you need.  I think phone service is included but I don't see that on the papers I have.

Biting the bullet is a bit easier at these speeds but still expensive.  Any takers out there who can comment?

In Baguio I was paying 1000 pesos/month for the best Sky CATV package and 1400 pesos/month for 1.5 Mbs DSL. Thats 2400 pesos/month combined. So 3500 pesos/month for CATV and high speed internet seems like a no brainer decision to me.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In Baguio I was paying 1000 pesos/month for the best Sky CATV package and 1400 pesos/month for 1.5 Mbs DSL. Thats 2400 pesos/month combined. So 3500 pesos/month for CATV and high speed internet seems like a no brainer decision to me.

Yes, I'm just wondering if anyone has a Fibr experience to share.  It is a no brainer if it works as promised!  Right now I am paying 1299 for crappy Globe DSL and 600 for regular cable.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would be wary too. Cable is capable of delivering much higher speeds than they have delivered, the problem has always been throttling because they don't want to supply the bandwith because they would have to pay for it. Of course if it is expensive enough you might not be sharing it with too many other people and it may work exactly as advertised. :unsure:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

In Pattaya I pay 900bht for 15mps, cable is upwards of 600bht depending on package chosen, pay as you go mobile, I spend usually 600bht a month. so the new offer there seems good value.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would be wary too. Cable is capable of delivering much higher speeds than they have delivered, the problem has always been throttling because they don't want to supply the bandwith because they would have to pay for it. Of course if it is expensive enough you might not be sharing it with too many other people and it may work exactly as advertised. :unsure:

Right now, Fibr is only offered here in SBMA in the 3 old military housing areas, and in the central business district.  They still have old PLDT DSL as well, and most people may be happy with that for ~p1500 a month.

Throttling is why I asked what they guarantee, and that is 60% of the stated speed.  So for the 50 mbps service, you should get at least 30 mbps, which I would be very happy with.  When I lived in Germany my DSL usually measured around 12 mbps and that was more than enough for my needs.  However, now they have streaming HD content that I would like to see without hanging and buffering.

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

Can't comment on Subic situation although I'm interested what's available there, since I plan to move to Subic area in the (far) future.

My experience in Makati:

First had Destiny cable TV with internet. (year 2001-2007) Beside the numerous interruptions, and no connection, lousy speed.

Then came Sky cable TV with internet speed up to 6 MB (3999 PHP/month). Was OK in the beginning but 2 years back started to sputter and more interruption over the year.

Now have Globe Tattoo Fibre 25MB (3750 PHP) including Telephone line(VOIP). So far super!. and no interruptions for almost 1 year. (also no significant storm passed over last year).

PLDT Fibr is also available here but decided against it. 

The price is kinda steep but I need a good connection to do my job. Company pays for it...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought some people might be interested in the plans they have here at PLDT/Subictel, so here are the plan details I got from them yesterday.

Page 1

post-1784-0-16206100-1454491039_thumb.jp

Page 2

post-1784-0-20646100-1454491099_thumb.jp

Page 3

post-1784-0-83646700-1454491202_thumb.jp

Page 4

post-1784-0-23968100-1454491317_thumb.jp

Page 5

post-1784-0-54917600-1454491527_thumb.jp

Page 6

post-1784-0-22484700-1454491832_thumb.jp

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was just looking at the PLDT Fibr website and thought some of you might be interested

http://pldthome.com/fibr

These pricing are lower that the Subictel pricing I posted, I think.  It is unclear if the Cignal TV is included.  If you scroll down the page to the Cignal Triple Play box, it says it is included, but under VAS it says Cignal is +499.

The strange thing is, if I go into Apply Now I can put in my address down to the street and it comes up as serviced.  I'm not ready to apply but I will try this route first before the Subictel option.

Until March 31 if you get the P2899 50 mbps plan, they will double your speed to 100 mbps for 6 months.

• Like 1