If There Was One Thing You Could Change What Would It Be?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Lol! I know what you mean... But other than the ignorant sob who used her laws and religion against her? She fits into the ideal that everyone has said they want in a filipina...

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It's a toss-up between:

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long. They will not make any attempt to find out why the dogs are barking nor and will make no attempt to make the dogs stop barking.

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Being considerate of your neighbors is not in the Filipina DNA. I cannot give you a reason why but maybe other members of the forum can. 

As I read the above reply my thoughts lean a different way.

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long.

Well I assume you looked at the country before you came so why do you think they are inconsiderate just because its not what might be done in the country you came from?

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Why is this inconsiderate? its part of the culture, to have fun and singing is a big part of the Filipino culture.

The whole point is that when someone decides to live as an expat then the acceptance of the whole package should be considered carefully. You, me and no one will ever change the way things are and to them, they are just going about their normal lives just like the people back home who have their way of doing things.
Mind you I understand that unless you join in singing in the early hours its not much fun but it is part of life, their life in their country.   :thumbsup:
  • Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Mind you I understand that unless you join in singing in the early hours its not much fun but it is part of life, their life in their country. :thumbsup:

Ok, So if you can't beat them join them......makes sense

Or find a remote place and be King of the hill.....Don't worry be happy :cheersty:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

It's a toss-up between:

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long. They will not make any attempt to find out why the dogs are barking nor and will make no attempt to make the dogs stop barking.

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Being considerate of your neighbors is not in the Filipina DNA. I cannot give you a reason why but maybe other members of the forum can. 

As I read the above reply my thoughts lean a different way.

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long.

Well I assume you looked at the country before you came so why do you think they are inconsiderate just because its not what might be done in the country you came from?

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Why is this inconsiderate? its part of the culture, to have fun and singing is a big part of the Filipino culture.

The whole point is that when someone decides to live as an expat then the acceptance of the whole package should be considered carefully. You, me and no one will ever change the way things are and to them, they are just going about their normal lives just like the people back home who have their way of doing things.
Mind you I understand that unless you join in singing in the early hours its not much fun but it is part of life, their life in their country.   :thumbsup:

Good point. Which is why people move about, leaving neighborhoods within their own city. If the intolerable irritations are of a national cultural nature, you don't have to tolerate it. You just leave and find another place that suits your sensibilities. I don't mean to sound snarky on this. I find alot of irritable customs and mores locally as well, but.... no real choice if I want to live here. I learnt to live with it and adapt. Not always physically, but at least psychologically. There is 'No Way' things are going to change to match my personal desires.

I'm easy on this matter, but a lot of my ex-pat friends really have a tough time of it. Some have moved back to Oz, Canada and the USA after failing to adjust comfortably. I understand fully their frustrations, but unlike them...... I just blow it off.

Living in a foreign country usually means living outside of your comfort zone. Thats just the trade-off we have to make.  

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

The only 2 things I would change is Government Corruption from the Barangay hall all the way up to the President !

and Poverty which I can see as soon as I walk out of our compound

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The only 2 things I would change is Government Corruption from the Barangay hall all the way up to the President !

and Poverty which I can see as soon as I walk out of our compound

Change the first Part my Friend the second may just Alter!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Ultimately they couldn't stop the Reproductive Health Bill, but they backed legislation to stop the funding for free birth control injections and pills. Hitting again the poor people who struggle to afford such things.

Which effectively stopped it dead in it's tracks. The ink was barely dry from it's signing into law in Dec, 2012 when it was constitutionally challenged (after debating about it for 14 years). The Supreme Court decided in April, 2014 that the key provisions were constitutional but the bill was put in limbo. Last month the budget for the bill was cut by p1 billion. That money was earmarked for the purchase of contraceptives for the indigent. So even though it's the law of the land it has been eviscerated. But you hit the nail on the head with the real problem of this country and it's one that will never be won.

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

My age.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
The long term influence of the Catholic Church.
And their 'fund raising". It's 2-3 times a month they come around for "donations"

Without Christianity you would be living in a Muslim State, the day I see a rich Priest in the Philippines I will agree with you.

If I could change anything, it would be people's attitude to their fellow man.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
Without Christianity you would be living in a Muslim State, the day I see a rich Priest in the Philippines I will agree with you. If I could change anything, it would be people's attitude to their fellow man.

The priests in the Philipines do quite well. Our local guy, we are friends actually,  has a car and a newly built house. And not sure if you are aware of the Jueting scandal in Pampanga a few years ago under Pres Arroyo (GMA), where each priest got a new SUV as a cut of the illegal gambling operations. And Father Eddie Panlilio was elected Governor in 2007, overturned on vote recount 3 years later.

I have nothing against Christianity hence my quote " The long term influence of the Catholic Church".

Here's another quote.

On October 13, 2007, Panlilio admitted that a palace staff personally gave him a brown paper gift bag with 500,000 Philippine pesos (P1,000 bills in 5 bundles, P100,000 each

Priests and Barangay Captain's do quite well in the Philippines.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1