If There Was One Thing You Could Change What Would It Be?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Noted what you have said Chris,

The Catholic Church has come under a lot of criticism recently and in some cases rightly so,

but one bad apple in a barrel does not make the whole barrel bad.

Lets leave Religion and Politics out of it, and I won't need to defend good people.

Mahatma Gandhi put it this way.....a few drops of dirty water does not make the ocean unclean.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Noted what you have said Chris,

The Catholic Church has come under a lot of criticism recently and in some cases rightly so,

but one bad apple in a barrel does not make the whole barrel bad.

Lets leave Religion and Politics out of it, and I won't need to defend good people.

Mahatma Gandhi put it this way.....a few drops of dirty water does not make the ocean unclean.

Cheers John. there's a lot of things that people would like to change in the Phils, but if all the changes were invoked, I guess it wouldn't be the Philippines anymore.

Leaving religion aside.

I think it's highly disgraceful that with the minimum wage set at around 440/day, some workers can't get half that, but are forced to accept what is offered. I mean other than domestic workers..different scenario.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think it's highly disgraceful that with the minimum wage set at around 440/day, some workers can't get half that, but are forced to accept what is offered. I mean other than domestic workers..different scenario.

Some of the workers down here get 85 peso  a day take it or leave it. The problem is if the local market cannot afford it what can be done. If they were to put up wages it would force up  prices which would affect the poorest. No win situation sometimes I think.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If there was one thing I could change it would be my socks they seem to be stuck on my feet.

I will be changing my location to somewhere quieter as the noise here is from all sides and can be unbearable at times.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's a toss-up between:

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long. They will not make any attempt to find out why the dogs are barking nor and will make no attempt to make the dogs stop barking.

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Being considerate of your neighbors is not in the Filipina DNA. I cannot give you a reason why but maybe other members of the forum can. 

As I read the above reply my thoughts lean a different way.

a) The inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day and all night long.

Well I assume you looked at the country before you came so why do you think they are inconsiderate just because its not what might be done in the country you came from?

b) The inconsiderate drunken neighbors singing (more like screaming) off key karaoke at 2 am.

Why is this inconsiderate? its part of the culture, to have fun and singing is a big part of the Filipino culture.

The whole point is that when someone decides to live as an expat then the acceptance of the whole package should be considered carefully. You, me and no one will ever change the way things are and to them, they are just going about their normal lives just like the people back home who have their way of doing things.
Mind you I understand that unless you join in singing in the early hours its not much fun but it is part of life, their life in their country.   :thumbsup:

I would have to respectfully disagree.  The original question was "As an Expat living in Philippines what one thing would you most like to change?"   A fair question.  No one here seriously thinks we are going to change anything here.   Just talking 'what if'.  Imagine how boring the forum would be if everyone just answered "nothing".  My wife was born and raised here - and she hates the noisy neighbor syndrome too.  We can live here, and enjoy it, while admitting quite honestly that no place is perfect.  :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:89: My middle name,  :th_goodidea: 

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

:89: My middle name,  :th_goodidea: 

I understand Gerald Michaelmas Glatt..... :mocking:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

If the flight to Philippines were an hour long that would be nice. :D

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

I'd clean up and renovate the "playground" between Fields Ave and SM Clark here in Angeles. It's basically a fenced in strip of land filled with the homeless, a few scary looking guys that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, and a couple of kids playing on swings that might have been new in 1958.

I know it's not much, but some of these kids have so little that I'd love to give them a place to just be a kid for a little while.

I don't care about the noise or the corruption or the pollution nearly as much as I thought I might. But, walking by that delapidated playground every day makes me sad.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Michaelmas

Mud

• Like 1