What Would You Consider A Minimum Lot Size ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Assuming that money is indeed an object... (ref: "money is no object.") and you wanted to build a small abode w/ sala, CR, 1 bdrm, dirty kitchen, small outside terrace and a tiny bit of garden/greenery... how many square meters (no carport area) could you get by with?

I've seen some pretty small subdivision lot plats and ready builts that were back-to-back, but with more than 1 bdrm squeezed in.

Is there any norm or consensus on what would be a minimal building site here?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Any size is great its who builds next to you is the problem,

Sister in law has a new build, well sort of its new but looks like its been built 30 years ago, crap build quality and i think her size is 100 sq mtrs ,

But like you say the neighbors are all around her and no privacy at all,

500 would be a good size with a garden for me i would think, but again  its all down to money and where it is

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We share a 700 sq m lot. Two small houses,  It works, but if I were buying I think 1,000 sq m is minimum.  Most of our garden is outside the property, half on a vacant lot, the other half in the unused rice field.  So to have a house, garden, and some space between houses I want 1,000.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Assuming that money is indeed an object... (ref: "money is no object.") and you wanted to build a small abode w/ sala, CR, 1 bdrm, dirty kitchen, small outside terrace and a tiny bit of garden/greenery... how many square meters (no carport area) could you get by with?

I've seen some pretty small subdivision lot plats and ready builts that were back-to-back, but with more than 1 bdrm squeezed in.

How many stories will the house have? A single storey house takes more land than a double. It also depends on  the shape and terrain of the lot. I have seen lots as small as 40 sq  mt.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Whatever size you get, build a wall on the perimeter first or else others will encroach onto your property, politely of course. Just 2 or 3 feet here and 4 feet over there for a cr, etc.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would agree with Steve it's more about who lives nearby. My inlaws have a home in a new subdivision the property line is one meter from the back and front and one side the other side has about four meters. It works for them the neighbors are quiet and respectful.  Several houses away two homes have two dogs caged outside that bark constantly.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

If you ask me I think a lot will depend on location, city or town, province open areas or subdivision.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my research for where to live when we get to Phils, I too  have noticed the smallness of the lots.  On thinking about it, I do understand why, as Phils has a large population and low land space.  Two story houses seem to dominate and quite frankly, they look hideous, rectangular boxes without any character whatsoever.

Due to a back condition, bungalow stye housing is the only one feasible for me  I do not want to live in the hip pocket of the neighbor either.

So this is an interesting topic for me.  I would like a garden, but the SO will be the one looking after it, as I cannot reach down for

all the tea in China.  She says 'no problems, she want a garden'  ok by me.

So from discussion here, 700-1000 sm seems to be the consensus, which would tend to rule out gated communities as I see it?  Or am I mistaken there.  They all seem to want to jam you into small lots and from some of the comments about neighbours, maybe that is not a good idea.  I favour this style of living, as I need a swimming pool for my back exercises. It seeems to me that if I am going to have one of those small blocks joing the neighoubts window, I might as well live in a condo that will have all the facilities I need

My budget would be about 3.5m pesos max and not in busy city areas, outskirts of the city in places like Iloilo and Dumaguete - they seem to have most appeal for me. Comments appreciated gentlemen.

Edited by mogo51

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
which would tend to rule out gated communities as I see it?  Or am I mistaken there

Some high end gated communities, like Tiera Alta, have lots in the 300 to 500 sm range and the occasional owner has purchased 2 lots.  There does not seem to be any requirement to build on the second lot but the guy I am thinking of plans to build a small rental house on the second lot so it does not block his view of the ocean.

Another high end gated community, in Valencia, has lots from 500 to 1000 sm but the bylaws of the HOA require you to build a house that is a minimum of 1/3 the size of your lot.  Thus a fellow I know built a 330 sm house because he wanted a 1000 sm lot.

One medium priced gated community I know has a rich foreigner who bought 2 lots of 200 sm each.  One for his house and one for his swimming pool.

If you are getting the idea that you can do it but you have to be well funded then you are correct.