Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The is ALWAYS and Idiot  :1 (103):

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
He actually did survive as they showed him on the news last night in a hospital bed talking to news reporters (ABS_CBN).... they said his helmet saved him ....

Very lucky to be alive!  I just watched it again and his helmet went flying into the air after the first impact.

The speed behind the truck appeared to be reasonable.  The jerk just had not patience or regard for the safety of others.

Part of the problem is that so many vehicles are under powered and have no business passing EVER!  I think that is an Adventurer and most of them are good examples of these.  If you don't have the power to pass, forget about it!  I deal with this every day on the hill up to our house, but luckily most don't try to pass unless they have the power.

My vehicle now has plenty of power but when my family is in the car I will only make the safest passes.  When by myself, I might take a bit more risk, but never on a curve!

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

The driver with the cam might have already been slowing to make it easier for the idiot to pass him

OR, he could have already been going that slow, which frustrated the hell out of the guy who passed him and caused the guy behind him to exercise poor judgement in thinking he could quickly pass that slow moving a**h*le.  Come on, lets not all pretend we have not passed an extremely slow moving vehicle in less than perfect conditions.

This is not to take away from the guilt of the one who is passing, but I hate to see the slow moving farmer (if that was the case) get off scott free and go on to give another following motorist more road rage in a future scenario.  Nothing wrong with people who travel too slow, but they should pull over and let faster traffic ease by them at the first safe spot.

I just watched it again and it looked like they were doing about 50 kph to me. Most of the time in the Philippines I would have been counting my good fortune to be going that fast. I can relate to what you say about aggravation. I don't generally measure speed in KPH or MPH but in APH agro's per hour, as in how many times I will be pissed off per hour of driving. Of course the APH limit often changes with the time of day and I plan drives accordingly. 

As AlwaysRT said above, it looked like the car being passed had safe stopping distance but the tanker truck was not outdistancing him until after the accident. I don't think dash cams are that common, I sure as heck never had one. Added to the other things observed, I think we are looking at an experienced, cautious driver.

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
This is not to take away from the guilt of the one who is passing, but I hate to see the slow moving farmer (if that was the case) get off scott free and go on to give another following motorist more road rage in a future scenario.  Nothing wrong with people who travel too slow, but they should pull over and let faster traffic ease by them at the first safe spot.

Hard to do that on a bridge with no shoulder. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
 Nothing wrong with people who travel too slow, but they should pull over and let faster traffic ease by them at the first safe spot.

Admittedly, this accident was not a good example of my point as its been pointed out that the truck was the one slowing up traffic.  But your comment gets to the heart of the matter.  People who are trying to be good drivers and yet want to drive slow should move over and let faster drivers get by before they get to a bridge with no shoulder. 

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Nothing wrong with people who travel too slow, but they should pull over and let faster traffic ease by them at the first safe spot.

Admittedly, this accident was not a good example of my point as its been pointed out that the truck was the one slowing up traffic.  But your comment gets to the heart of the matter.  People who are trying to be good drivers and yet want to drive slow should move over and let faster drivers get by before they get to a bridge with no shoulder. 

That may be hard to do. Looks like this happened on Marcos Highway on the way up to Baguio. This is February, a heavy month for tourists in Baguio. Therefor a great deal of traffic on the highway. If you pulled over to let people pass you could be on the side of the road for a long time.

Marcos Highway is a pretty good road and there are many places to pass safely _IF_ there is a sufficient gap in oncoming traffic and you have a car which has the horse power to pass.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Going off topic a bit.  You are right in that it is rare for a Filipino slow driver to pull over and let faster vehicles pass.  I think it goes with the typical dog eat dog, me first attitude of many Filipinos.  However, there are some considerate drivers.  We have a steep hill after you leave Subic and there are many heavily loaded trucks using that road.  Many will pull onto the shoulder (while still moving slowly) and wave you to pass when safe.  I always give them a quick beep to thank them!

This reminds me of a very old story.  I grew up with a guy that has the Filipino attitude.  He got it from his dad.  Basically, everything in life was "f*ck em if they don't like it!".  When we were 19ish, this friend had his first car, a Mazda pickup with a camper shell on the back.  We decided to take a trip into the mountains to visit Big Bear lake in the Los Angeles area.  Back then, most of the mountain road was very steep, winding and narrow, and there were few places to pass.  My friend's truck could barely make it up the hill.  I was in the camper shell with another friend and we could not talk to my friend the driver.  There was another truck behind us and he started honking.  Several miles went by and my friend would not pull over, while the guy continued honking urgently.  Finally, my friend pulled over at a large pullout,  The guy pulled past us, skidded to a stop in front of us, jumped out, came over and started screaming at my friend.  He said he was an EMT on his way to an emergency.  My friend just sat there with his mouth open.  I don't think it changed his "f*uck em" attitude and honestly I lost a lot of respect for him that day.

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I find there are two schools of Filipino driver. The first are so aggressive and reckless as to be suicidal, the second are so timid as to be suffering a nervous breakdown. Rarely is there one in the middle ground.

By far the most annoying are those doing 30KPH (if you're lucky) on a clear road or failing to keep up with traffic on a busier one. Also it's difficult sometimes to realise they're not keeping up with traffic as their size/dark windows make it impossible to see ahead of them.

A large part of the fun of driving here is how much one can vent one's spleen on the incompetent drivers one comes across even on short drives.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the second are so timid as to be suffering a nervous breakdown.

You may be forgetting a third type.  The are recognizable by either the cell phone in their hand as they ride their motorcycles through busy traffic or headphones in the ears as they rock out to their tunes and ride oblivious to the other traffic.  Perhaps we could call them the looney tunes, cell phone users?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
The are recognizable by either the cell phone in their hand as they ride their motorcycles through busy traffic

Holy Cr@p, as I was heading to look at a motorcycle today a couple girls passed me on one. Now when I say girls I don't mean a couple cute 20 somethings. I mean the driver was 12-13yrs old with her 5-6yr old sister (probably) on the back - and the 12-13yr old was driving with one hand, texting in the other! WOW  :omg:  

• Like 2