Easy Way To Save On Home Aircon Bill

luke
Posted
Posted

Why not try without aircon or only use it only for a few hours.

This time of year should be cool enough at night.

The first years in the PH I used aircon every night. Slowly started to use less aircon and more fan.

Now only use during the hot summer nights when temps stay above 28C.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We do only use it only a few hours - that is what the timer is for.  We are in the dead of summer right now. During the rainy season we use it less.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We are in the dead of summer right now.

That is the second time I recall you (or someone else) saying we are in summer season now.  Are you in Australia?  Because this is winter in Philippines and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.  Even though summer gets an early start here they don't call it summer until April hits.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Why not try without aircon or only use it only for a few hours.

This time of year should be cool enough at night.

The first years in the PH I used aircon every night. Slowly started to use less aircon and more fan.

Now only use during the hot summer nights when temps stay above 28C.

I don`t use aircon. And as for using it at night i need a blanket not aircon.I don`t understand why people need it when they are asleep I can understand why some people use it during the day but at night? Still horses for courses I guess.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
.I don`t understand why people need it when they are asleep

Without the aircon there is too much humidity in the air.  Thus I sweat a lot.  Thus my sheets get wet.  Thus I have to sleep in the wet spot.  Not fun.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

.I don`t understand why people need it when they are asleep

Without the aircon there is too much humidity in the air.  Thus I sweat a lot.  Thus my sheets get wet.  Thus I have to sleep in the wet spot.  Not fun.

Mate that wet spot aint sweat yuk

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
I don`t use aircon. And as for using it at night i need a blanket not aircon.I don`t understand why people need it when they are asleep I can understand why some people use it during the day but at night? Still horses for courses I guess.

Same reason we used to keep the jail so cold... people sleep better when it is cold. If it got too hot in the jail we had more fights - so we kept it cold enough to encourage hibernation ha ha.

I don't sleep well if I am sweaty. I would rather sweat in the afternoon with no aircon, and sleep better at night with the aircon running.  I have it on a timer so it just runs for about 6 hours, by 4AM we don't need it as much, and it turns itself off and turns on my fan.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Same reason we used to keep the jail so cold... people sleep better when it is cold. If it got too hot in the jail we had more fights - so we kept it cold enough to encourage hibernation ha ha.

I don't sleep well if I am sweaty. I would rather sweat in the afternoon with no aircon, and sleep better at night with the aircon running.  I have it on a timer so it just runs for about 6 hours, by 4AM we don't need it as much, and it turns itself off and turns on my fan.

Well I guess I`m lucky that I don`t feel the heat as much even on hot days a fan is enough for me.

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

just a liitle thing you can try ! yes we all know aircon is expensive and noisy !! and so are the fans !! 

we had a spare voltage regulator which has a 110V outlet I plugged in a 90watt fan and it worked albeiet  not as fast !

but it still keeps the room cool even on setting 2 ! and without the loud noise ! and it uses half the power ! and I did the same in the living room with a smaller hanabishi fan !

our bill dropped by 790pesos a month ! 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

just a liitle thing you can try ! yes we all know aircon is expensive and noisy !! and so are the fans !! 

we had a spare voltage regulator which has a 110V outlet I plugged in a 90watt fan and it worked albeiet  not as fast !

but it still keeps the room cool even on setting 2 ! and without the loud noise ! and it uses half the power ! and I did the same in the living room with a smaller hanabishi fan !

our bill dropped by 790pesos a month ! 

That's OK if you have a Non PC Unit, the reduced voltage could ruin the motherboard if you have Split type.

Edited by Jack Peterson