Easy Way To Save On Home Aircon Bill

snowridr
Posted
Posted
On 18 February 2016 at 10:04 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

So we bought an aircon timer for p1,300 (I think?).  It is pretty good.  The regular plug (for the fan) is on a N/C switch. The aircon plug is on a N/O switch. When you set the timer the aircon is energized, fan de-energized.  When the timer cycles the aircon is de-energized and the fan is energized. Now, with the timer I turn it on about 9 or 10 pm and set it for 5 or 6 hours. We cut our aircon use in half. If it goes off at 3 or 4 in the morning the fan is more than enough once the house is cold.

BTW what is N/C and N/O?  Hopefully I can find these at the Ace at Pavilion Mall.   Hoping our next bill is less than the first month here -

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, snowridr said:

BTW what is N/C and N/O?  Hopefully I can find these at the Ace at Pavilion Mall.   Hoping our next bill is less than the first month here -

Sorry, normally closed and normally open.  The switch regularly has the small plug energized (normally closed) and the aircon pug de-energized (normally open).   When you turn on the timer, both plugs changed position. So the timer allows the aircon to run and the floor fan to be off.  Timer hits zero and the aircon turns off, fan turns on. 

I have seen the timer at pretty much all the hardware stores.  Only thing is, I found out later, there is a better model.  The one I have is not as good during brownouts. The fancier one has a time delay built in, so when you lose power and it comes back - the aircon does not start immediately.  The time delay protects the aircon from starting multiple times if the power bounces on and off. I have seen them online, not seen them at any store locally. 

• Like 2