Is There Any Sort Of A 'book Culture' Here In The Pi?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I occasionally go the the mall's National Book store, but mostly to the used book store to find reading materials. Over many, many years I have yet to see anyone, other than myself, actually purchasing a book. Are they just too expensive? I often wait until the bi-monthly mark-downs get very low and pick up books for P10 to P50, but don't see other people purchasing books here. Maybe my timing is poor. 

Do you know of people who have personal libraries here? I don't.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Are you in, or likely to be in, Metro Manila? Take a taxi to Padre Faura, Ermita. Look for the Solidaridad Bookstore. You will find yourself at the heart of the nation's literary culture. If you are very lucky, you may even meet the owner, the 92 year old novelist F. Sionil Jose, and if you don't you should certainly read his books anyway.

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Thanks. I'm in Ermita twice a year for 2-3 days. I shall follow your suggestion. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see people buying at National all the time. Which I cannot understand - they are so over priced.  I go to the used bookstore (book stop...book sale?). They seem to have a store in every mall in town.  I usually pay about p20 for a book.

I have a number of college aged friends and some of them read a lot.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Buy a Kindle.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

At least half of the expat's I've known here have personal libraries, ranging from 20 books to several hundred.  I even traded some books with another poster on here who lived nearby.   We always hit National Bookstore and Booksale (cheap used books) in Cebu when there, and it's always crowded with mostly locals, who are buying.  Either get a kindle-type reader or network a little more with expats and you will eventually find the stash of books in your area.   

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Buy a Kindle.

Have one. Have a Nook, also. The printed page still has some advantages that I'm used to and prefer in some instances and situations. Maybe some day printed books will be passe and only a memory of earlier times, but books and bookstores will contnue to exist till then.

But thnks for reminding us all of the option.

p.s. My youngest daughter published her novel as an e-book and sold several copies, so I'm not knocking it.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

At least half of the expat's I've known here have personal libraries, ranging from 20 books to several hundred.  I even traded some books with another poster on here who lived nearby.   We always hit National Bookstore and Booksale (cheap used books) in Cebu when there, and it's always crowded with mostly locals, who are buying.  Either get a kindle-type reader or network a little more with expats and you will eventually find the stash of books in your area.   

Good advice. I and other ex-pats here sometimes bring a short stack to Sunday beer and just give them to whosoever is interested. Mostly adventure novels of one genre or another seem to be the most popular. I usually buy non-fiction and most of the other guys prefer fiction reading for relaxation.  

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Good advice. I and other ex-pats here sometimes bring a short stack to Sunday beer and just give them to whosoever is interested. Mostly adventure novels of one genre or another seem to be the most popular. I usually buy non-fiction and most of the other guys prefer fiction reading for relaxation.  

I hear ya...one of the biggest personal libraries I've seen here was full of spy and detective fiction, which I don't really care for.  I ended up reading most of them, out of desperation..haha.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What a pity The Op or any others are not in Dumaguete. We have a Husband ( Foreigner) & Wife (Pinay) run a book Exchange store or lend (Like a Library) with some 3.000 + books, a Couple of Doors away from our Immigration office. I don't use it myself as I prefer to Buy what I know I will like but in Time who knows? Last I spoke to Him he was telling me that 40+% of his Clients are Local but does well with Us and getting more clients weekly  Got a good Location there I have to Admit.

Just my 10 cents.