English Shops Catering To Expats

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Philippines does not have decent, if any, trade agreements with other countries so they charge a high import duty, maybe 100 + %, and then 13 % VAT so the prices are very high. A tax upon a tax. An example, in Canada, you can get a large jar of dill pickles, maybe 2 quarts, or one quart of pickled beets from Poland for 96 pesos ($3). Here, a tiny jar of gerkins are more than 200p. About 8 times higher in price. Also, there are no taxes on groceries in Canada, nor on children's clothes.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Have you tried Australian cheddar?That is as good as Uk cheddar.I have seen mini eggs here but they are local so I am not sure if they are like Cadburys. Cadburys chocolate is available even here in Dalaguete,the back of beyond.If you see Moulinera baked beans give them a whirl as they are very good.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
What on earth are mini eggs? You can get a whole meal in one with some of the eggs in the Philippines. 

I purchased Cadbury mini eggs this past Easter at the Rustan's Supermarket branch in Mandaue, Cebu. Probably all branches have them during Easter.  I love them too:)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Philippines does not have decent, if any, trade agreements

Your right JP, but I think it is really about the bottom line. There is just not a big enough customer base in the provinces to make stocking large amounts of items to get a decent price and stock it before it spoils.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

SM supermarkets have tescos products there so there is some home joys! Scottish shortbread there as well as chocolate digestives

If in makati go to Howzat, an English pub and has anything you're looking for sausages, pies etc big selection of chocolate and you can buy cheddar there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Even in a quiet backwater like CDO we are quite well catered for to suit our Western tastes. We have Kings Deli owned by a UK guy here which have regular imports of many of our favourite brands such as Heinz Salad Cream, Baked Beans, Branston Pickle, Tetley Tea, lime marmalade, Blackcurrant Jam, Colmans Sauces, loads of different biscuits etc to name just a few. We also have an M&S but the food selection isn't that great, but did have very good Christmas Puddings and mince pies. Rustans here seem to have a lot of Waitrose products. For really strong tasting Cheddar, I can thoroughly recommend Mainland Vintage Cheddar imported from New Zealand.Really strong and tasty. It can be found here in all the three chains, SM, Rustans and Robinsons.

Ken

jpbago
Posted
Posted
recommend Mainland Vintage Cheddar imported from New Zealand.Really strong and tasty.

Yes, it is very good.