Philippine Internet Speed

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Recently there was a topic about internet speed. Now I am no guru by any means, but I was just handed a flyer on the way to the market today and though I would pass it one to our guru members

I think the company is named Converge, pure fiber technology. All speeds are "up to"

5 mbps-1500p

12 mbps-2500p

25 mbps-3500p

60 mbps-5000p

100 mbps-8500p

The ad says end to end fiber (what ever that means)

So if this is good, maybe internet speed is slowly improving here, granted I am in Metro Manila and we get this kind of stuff first I think.

There is a web address, I am going to ask JGF if I can post it.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So if this is good, maybe internet speed is slowly improving here

Hmm I wonder who they will buy the bandwidth from? PLDT or Globe as I believe they will be the sellers so I can't see how anything will change. Except get worse, I mean there are only so many slices in a cake and they can get thinner and thinner as more people want a slice.

JMHO

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Hmm I wonder who they will buy the bandwidth from?

Jack I honestly have no clue, hopefully some of our more wired members can research these guys and let us know :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

All speeds are "up to"

I use this same silly logic to see if 'someone' is actually listening to what I am saying. Example, supposed to meet in 5 minutes, 30 seconds away, I say I will be there in less than 2 hours. If she says OK, she isn't listening.

0.05 mbps is "up to 100 mbps"

haha...she probably just started getting ready and is happy to hear you're not 'strict' with your scheduling.  :)  As for internet we got lucky with our "up to 2 Mb/s" Globe plan and test out at 4+.  I would hate to raise my expectations with a more expensive offering, and end up disappointed.  Aim low and hope for the best!

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

All speeds are "up to"

I use this same silly logic to see if 'someone' is actually listening to what I am saying. Example, supposed to meet in 5 minutes, 30 seconds away, I say I will be there in less than 2 hours. If she says OK, she isn't listening.

0.05 mbps is "up to 100 mbps"

haha...she probably just started getting ready and is happy to hear you're not 'strict' with your scheduling.   :)  As for internet we got lucky with our "up to 2 Mb/s" Globe plan and test out at 4+.  I would hate to raise my expectations with a more expensive offering, and end up disappointed.  Aim low and hope for the best!

This happens in the US also, you can pay more but you don't get more and you don't know that until your service is turned on after you signed a contract. You just volunteered to pay more.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Recently there was a topic about internet speed. Now I am no guru by any means, but I was just handed a flyer on the way to the market today and though I would pass it one to our guru members

I think the company is named Converge, pure fiber technology. All speeds are "up to"

5 mbps-1500p

12 mbps-2500p

25 mbps-3500p

60 mbps-5000p

100 mbps-8500p

The ad says end to end fiber (what ever that means)

So if this is good, maybe internet speed is slowly improving here, granted I am in Metro Manila and we get this kind of stuff first I think.

There is a web address, I am going to ask JGF if I can post it.

End to End fibre just means that it is fibre all the way through from the 'LTE' (Line Terminating Equipment) located in the serving telephone exchange, through all the external routing (Manhole/Footway Boxes/Cabinets etc or in the Phils probably overhead) and then finally spliced via a splicing box (inside your house) onto a fibre optic 'tail' which is then plugged into a 'NTE' (Network Terminating Equipment) which then links to your server/modem.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Converge has posters up in Subic too.

I'm fairly certain they are subleasing from PLDT here.  Those prices you listed are higher than PLDT!  I was hoping they would add some competition but maybe not.  When I looked at their website a week or two ago, I could not find the pricing.  Seems like a small outfit and most likely, they are just reselling.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eddie, but you lost me at "end to end" :hystery: , all I was trying to bring out is that maybe, just maybe faster internet might be on the way to the land of smiles :cheersty:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eddie, but you lost me at "end to end" :hystery: , all I was trying to bring out is that maybe, just maybe faster internet might be on the way to the land of smiles :cheersty:

I'm going with PLDT (Subictel) Fibre next month when we move.  They said they guarantee 60% of the speed you buy, which in my case will be 50 mbps.

• Like 2