Looking for deep ceramic tub

mogo51
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, tohopko said:

Thank you very much for all the responses.  (The double sink can be Stainless steel too) I figured that finding one not being used might not happen but the salvage yard idea might be a place to start, and a large enough stainless cut in half, another option.  The reason I want those specific items is because I raise Tilapia, at least I went to college to learn how and have some experience in it.  I'm building a recycled, all-ceramic, recirculating Tilapia grow tank.  I love the idea of raising my own fish so I can trust what went in to growing them out.  I am not a fan of the typical ponds with questionable runoff and feed and recirculating systems that extensively use plastic for air and water lines.  My system would have a small fraction of 1% of what a typical plastic intensive systems have so I don't have all the out-gassing of petroleum and other chemicals going into the water my fish breathe.  All water lines will be copper. The design would only need one pump and no air stones until the fish are at least half grown, and maybe none at all.  The product will likely be organically raised after I work out the feed system I have in mind.  The ceramics or SS will be environmentally friendly to even the biggest critic of how food is grown, and the used condition and feed system will keep the costs way down.  (If only I had a US dump at my disposal)

An option, since I will eventually need a dozen or so tubs if I decide to go commercial, would be to ship them from the US to Cebu but I am a complete noob on that subject.

If I can do this cheap enough to make it attractive to me either just personally or commercially, I would explore growing other living edibles.

Thanks again.

Can I come over with a fishing line when they are full grown?  Mind you they are pretty safe, a lousy fisherman.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have always found freshwater fish here in Thailand have very mushy flesh and no flavour.  But as you seem to have  really done your homework, good luck with an interesting venture.

There are bath tubs everywhere here in Thailand (Pattaya) so they must be able to be imported but would think that would bea costly experience?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, tohopko said:

Did you use a contained system you bought?  Were you trying to do it just for personal use or...?

The house I lived in at that time had a concrete wading pool that the owner had installed.  It was 3 meters by 3 meters and about 80 cm deep.  It was never being used so I filled it and put some tilapia in it with the itent of raising them for my spouse, he visiting family members, and household helpers to eat.  We never had ANYTHING stolen by humans in that house and I left valuable things lying around when we went on 2 week long vacations so I am sure I can eliminate human theft.  We never got to eat any of the fish as they disappeared at a rate of about 2 or 3 per night.

• Like 3

tohopko
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The house I lived in at that time had a concrete wading pool that the owner had installed.  It was 3 meters by 3 meters and about 80 cm deep.  It was never being used so I filled it and put some tilapia in it with the itent of raising them for my spouse, he visiting family members, and household helpers to eat.  We never had ANYTHING stolen by humans in that house and I left valuable things lying around when we went on 2 week long vacations so I am sure I can eliminate human theft.  We never got to eat any of the fish as they disappeared at a rate of about 2 or 3 per night.

Interesting mystery.  Were they disappearing while they were small too or was it just when at an edible and more visible size?  Also there might be 'fishing Bats' here.  If so, they might be the culprits.

Edited by tohopko
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, tohopko said:

Interesting mystery.  Were they disappearing while they were small too or was it just when at an edible and more visible size?  Also there might be 'fishing Bats' here.  If so, they might be the culprits

They were disappearing while still too small for us to eat.  Neighbors believed that kingfishers were responsible but I never saw any.

• Like 1

tohopko
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I have always found freshwater fish here in Thailand have very mushy flesh and no flavour. 

Mogo, sounds like Carp which are raised and eaten extensively all over Asia.  Although Tilapia doesn't have the great flavor of some fish, they are a mid-quality white fish with good flavor if cooked certain ways.  Carp are popular because you can raise them in a mud puddle or rice paddy.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, tohopko said:

Mogo, sounds like Carp which are raised and eaten extensively all over Asia.  Although Tilapia doesn't have the great flavor of some fish, they are a mid-quality white fish with good flavor if cooked certain ways.  Carp are popular because you can raise them in a mud puddle or rice paddy.

You may be right mate, did have somewhat of a muddy taste.  Carp in Oz are made into fertilizer, maybe these should be also that we get here.  So will look forward to buying and trying some of your lovingly raised Talapia.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Doesn't take long to go from where do I find to fish breeding.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Doesn't take long to go from where do I find to fish breeding.

Its the diversity of conversation that makes you famous JGF

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Don't tell Dave where you live Queenie!!! haha

Hahaha! Better hide it! :)