Who gets what?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Ynot said:

I recently did a post about  "äre you really with the one you love" and in that post I asked the question about if the relationship came to end, would you see your way clear to give her / him something, similar to what you would do in your homeland. And by that I mean in Australia for example, if you have been living together as husband and wife (more than 12 months) albeit you may not be married, your ex partner has a right of claim against your assets, particularly those assets you have accumulated whilst you were together!  

Hardly anyone addressed the above issue, and I was just interested to see how many of you would actually give something to your ex partner.  

Maybe some of you would see providing for her whilst you were together and allowing her to share your life is reward enough!   

But I suspect a lot would not voluntarily pass on any assistance to their ex partner, no matter whose fault it was, whereas if you were back home you probably would have no choice and the courts would take that decision out of your hands if it went that far.

When my days here on earth are over, I have already taken steps to make sure my wife is better off. I've made improvements on her home and property here in Mindanao. I've purchased appliances and other things that she would not have bought without me. She has our Savings Account and she will get Survivors Benefits from my Social Security in the USA. She is retired and could very well do without me but I've made sure she and her son will be just fine.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

If you hail from Australia, the answer is simple.  ALL of us have had the vacuum cleaner applied to the wallet and indeed other parts of our anatomy.

I have never been able to work out how in our case a woman can claim half of the money you had BEFORE you met her and for what she had  SweetFA in making it!  If children involved, then adequate support for them is a 'no brainer'.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

This is another good reason look before you leap. If you want a trophy wife then you get what comes with it.     No need to go in to detail about this. You may or may not be surprised at how many foreigners who are senior citizens become bed ridden with a disability or life threatening sickness. Their young wives leave them to take care of themselves the best way they can. Many end up in a hospital room alone. Their young trophy wife is out with her boyfriend and just waiting for the old foreigner to die. When my wife was an RN she saw a lot of this. She learned a lot from just talking with them. I don't know but maybe some men think that they can buy a woman's fidelity with money. Ok, what happens when money runs out or man refuses to spend or give away his money to her? 

You decide. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ynot said:

This is part of what I wrote, and its interesting to see some of you would be willing to give your ex something if the relationship went south, provided she was not playing around which is good to know.

That is a stigma that we expats have that Philippine people do not. I understand what you are saying about: if she was playing around you may not want to give her anything, In good conscience I could not do that.  Let me be the first to admit that EVERY woman I have ever had a long term relationship/marriage with was been unfaithful at some point in the relationship.  Every single one and there have been too many.  You could say that I am picking the wrong women.  I could say that I am better at catching them than some other guys.  It does not matter whether i am being faithful or not.  Sometimes I was, sometimes I was not but that did not seem to be a factor.

So if I never had to give anything to anyone who played around I would be a wealthy man.  The secret, to me, is to be allowed to calmly figure out what is fair and share that amount with her.  Depending on the comments I get on this post, I may elaborate or perhaps just let this thought sink in as there are surely going to be some disagreement. :56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

EDIT:

I like this thought:

2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

You do what you can to help without destroying yourself in the process.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I must be lucky or otherwise very stupid.  I have no fears whatsoever on the faithfulness of my SO.  

However, if I found her out being unfaithful, I really would be shattered but I doubt she would get much from me as she walked out the door. I have very little, she had bugger all when we met but I  honestly believe I will never be confronted with such a situation.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I  honestly believe I will never be confronted with such a situation.

Whether it ever happens to you or not, it is that belief which will keep your relationship strong.  Even after admitting to having unfaithful partners I still have to believe and trust, with each new relationship that I will never again be confronted with such a situation.  In other words, lets not cross our bridges until we come to them.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes Dave, this is definately a Pils conversation in a month's time.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many MANY guys give their ex partner the house and lot after a very short period of marriage.  Its not exactly voluntary, any more than the guys in other countries voluntarily give something to their ex partner.  Its the way things are set up here.  Marry an old foreigner, get him to buy a house and lot, in the gf name, and then wait for either separation or death and voila . .  free house.

It seems to me its the smart ones who DON'T give anything to the ex.  I mean, why pay for the cow that your neighbor is milking :hystery::crack-up:

Oh Dave, you win the Pulitzer Prize for this one. This captulates this entire discussion into one small paragraph.

I take good care of my SO, as very best I can given my circumstances and I am happy to do it.  She works but I ask nothing from her (but this can  change depending upon our circumstances) and I have discussed that possibility with her and no problem.

But so far, been supporting her for about 4 years and I do not give her a 'monthly allowance' as most do here with the Thai SO or gf, whatever. If you think of it, it is like a permanent Bar Fine.

I will remain in charge whilst I am still sucking in the big ones, then when check out time arrives, she can do her best.

• Like 1