History is Written by the Rich and Influential

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I want to start a discussion about history being written by the rich and influential.  It is about Cebu claiming that the battle between Magellan and Lapu Lapu happened at Mactan Island, Cebu; when artifacts, legend and the birthplace of Lapu Lapu would lead us to believe that the actual battle happened near Mactang, Poro, Camotes  But since its good for tourism in Cebu to play up that victory then that's what is written in the history books.

One source of the Camotes legend can be found here. (link with permission from JGF)

Since truth in advertising is a laughable concept in Philippines, it seems highly likely that the tourism department of Cebu City has a bigger budget than Camotes tourism budget and the story of Lapu Lapu adds flavor to the city's cultural tours.

This is a two part topic.  It would be great to have some intelligent discussion into the Camotes legend that the famous battle was actually held there.  But it would support that theory if people came up with other examples of Philippines rich and influential people rewriting history.

Do you, the reader, find this interesting?  Comments?

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, frozenmystic28 said:

Magellan himself wasn't even a Spanish, Lapu-lapu's existence is still questionable since there's no hard evidence that supports it,

Doing a little research I know you are right but his existence seems to be apparent  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan

Lapu Lapu well some think there is/was an existence of Him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapu-Lapu

Just my bit for today Folks.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

This came from the link that Dave so graciously provided ....

Low tide in Mactan” Poro abundance of soil, water, the sand much wider to walk, the beaches are awesome. Ronald Carcellar concluded; “when the 1,500 male soldiers arrived from the ship called “Victoria Galleon”, walking the sand before reaching the soil, to visualize also that, they have wives and children, how can they survive in Mactan Island or Opon Island?”

But the author has it backwards .... the Filipinos supposedly number 1500 ... (please note I said supposedly) .... there is only 1 written account of his trip around the world and that was by Antonio Pigafetta and tells an entirely different story .... I have included a link to various sites and finally the entire account by him .... interesting read .... I gave you a choice of formats ....... enjoy

Magellan's Trip Around the World.odt

Magellan's Trip Around the World 2.pdf

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

When I was in school, Social Studies only mentioned Magellan as the 1st person to circumnavigate the globe. Nothing else unrelated to that was mentioned at least as this old brain can recall.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

When I was in school, Social Studies only mentioned Magellan as the 1st person to circumnavigate the globe. Nothing else unrelated to that was mentioned at least as this old brain can recall.

Yeah, me too. I never heard that he got killed, even.  Just that he circumnavigated the globe... which, if he died on the trip... did he?

Mike S
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah, me too. I never heard that he got killed, even.  Just that he circumnavigated the globe... which, if he died on the trip... did he?

According to the info in the post I posted above he never actually completed the journey however his one remaining boat and a handful of men did .... including Antonio Pigafetta the guy who wrote a book on their travels ....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Doing some research into History in general since Dave started this Topic, has lead me to believe that much History is Re-Written updated on what some say is new Evidence submitted and it seems always to some ones Advantage and usually an ulterior Motive (Normally, Money/ Country /Region Wealth/ own Position) Obviously no one can stop (Can they?) people Re-writing History. Things are never really going to be as true and as factual as they ought to be. So in short, it seems to me, that we are all going to get a different story depending on the Source we are researching.

JMHO

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Obviously no one can stop (Can they?) people Re-writing History.

That is the important question and I think you are right.  My ex has been re-writing our history together and feeding her version to our grown children for a decade now.  The truth has no place in a history book.  So, whereas I used to believe history was a science, an absolute, I now realize it is an art, open to interpretation by the viewer.

• Like 1