Non Fiction books about Philippine History

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I like to read history books and about people in history. Since this forum is about the Philippines, I want to stay on the subject.  I'll just mention 2 books. First was a Philippine History book used by university students. I borrowed it from one of my wife's friends. It was very interesting since it went way back to the orgin of the Philippines and its people to the most recent history.

The other book was "ESCAPE FROM DAVAO". It was about some foreigners who were captured during WW2 and survived the Bataan Death March only to be imprisoned in a prison deep in the jungle of Mindanao. There may be a movie made about it. I gave the book to my father-in-law here and he enjoyed it. 

If you like reading and interested in non fiction history of the Philippines, I suggest this book.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I like to read history books and about people in history. Since this forum is about the Philippines, I want to stay on the subject.  I'll just mention 2 books. First was a Philippine History book used by university students. I borrowed it from one of my wife's friends. It was very interesting since it went way back to the orgin of the Philippines and its people to the most recent history.

The other book was "ESCAPE FROM DAVAO". It was about some foreigners who were captured during WW2 and survived the Bataan Death March only to be imprisoned in a prison deep in the jungle of Mindanao. There may be a movie made about it. I gave the book to my father-in-law here and he enjoyed it. 

If you like reading and interested in non fiction history of the Philippines, I suggest this book.

Thank you Gratefuled!  What was the title of the first book used by university students?  

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Thank you Gratefuled!  What was the title of the first book used by university students?

I do not recall the exact title. History of The Philippines,  I presume. I don't know the author, either. Wife returned the book after I read through it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission

Red Sun Setting: The Battle of the Philippine Sea

Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944

OK, I guess my list is one topic and in regards to the US conduct of the war in and near to Philippines. I can't find my book on Douglas MAcArthur's campaign in 44-45. Our brilliant but deeply flawed general.   

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Grate, as a fellow voracious reader of books, let me throw this at you. I don't remember the specific titles, but a couple of years ago I wandered into our local Barangay library. (Really not up to our standards but......). There I found some really old non-fiction history books. Probably limited printings and in English. Really obscure but interesting. Give it a try, some jewels can be found most likely. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

A friend lent me The Battle for Manila (Richard Connaughton, John Pimlott and Duncan Anderson) a couple of years ago. As one of the few studies of a generally overlooked campaign I found it both fascinating and harrowing.

However, judging by the reviews on Amazon, it ruffled a few feathers with supporters of General MacArthur.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

My husband loves Philippine history too. I just pulled these off his bookshelf to mention.

Time Life Books/World War ll Return to the Philippines

The Battle of Leyte Gulf and the Death Knell of the Japanese Fleet by Edwin P. Hoyt

Crusade in Asia by Carlos Romulo

John F. Kennedy and the PT-109 by Richard Tregaskis

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission

OK, I guess my list is one topic and in regards to the US conduct of the war in and near to Philippines. I can't find my book on Douglas MAcArthur's campaign in 44-45. Our brilliant but deeply flawed general.   

I recently watched a YouTube documentary on the Battle of Leyte, where MaCarthur "returned".  It was the last great naval battles between battleships.  Very interesting tactics that US Navy used to ambush two major Japaneses fleets.  

Regarding MaCarthur, I'm sorry, he's no hero of mine.  I know he was following orders but he completely abandoned his troops in Corregidor.  Him and Admiral Nimitz did not get along too well either.  

Thank you guys for the reading material!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jake said:

Admiral Nimitz

Found this one for you, Jake

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

How was General MacArthur flawed and how serious were the flaws?  He could have been president of the USA if he had wanted. 

• Like 1