Non Fiction books about Philippine History

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

Grate, as a fellow voracious reader of books, let me throw this at you. I don't remember the specific titles, but a couple of years ago I wandered into our local Barangay library. (Really not up to our standards but......). There I found some really old non-fiction history books. Probably limited printings and in English. Really obscure but interesting. Give it a try, some jewels can be found most likely. :thumbsup:

Thanks. It sounds like a good idea. Hope to try it and find some books in English.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

A friend lent me The Battle for Manila (Richard Connaughton, John Pimlott and Duncan Anderson) a couple of years ago. As one of the few studies of a generally overlooked campaign I found it both fascinating and harrowing.

However, judging by the reviews on Amazon, it ruffled a few feathers with supporters of General MacArthur.

My father was with the US Army when they took over the Philippines from the Japanese. He had nothing but praise for General MacArthur. I think maybe the controversy with General MacArthur was that he wanted to drive the North Koreans completely to China. This is what got him in trouble with President Truman. No one knows what the outcome might have been. Maybe an all out war with China but China only had man power back then. We had just been in 2 big wars and could not afford another one.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jake said:

I recently watched a YouTube documentary on the Battle of Leyte, where MaCarthur "returned".  It was the last great naval battles between battleships.  Very interesting tactics that US Navy used to ambush two major Japaneses fleets.  

Regarding MaCarthur, I'm sorry, he's no hero of mine.  I know he was following orders but he completely abandoned his troops in Corregidor.  Him and Admiral Nimitz did not get along too well either.  

Thank you guys for the reading material!

Every great man has enemies. (there are exceptions) What counts is final results. History marches on. General MacArthur was US Army and Commander. Admiral Nimitz was US Navy. Both had their priorities, I'm sure.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Hope to try it and find some books in English.

Grate, most of them were, and on further thinking about it. I found an old, old (1950's) book on Philippine military history, written by a Retired Filipino army officer if memory serves. In it I remember reading about Magellan getting wacked. I just skimmed it, but it was interesting as all get out.

• Like 2