Ambulance service in the Philippines

markpa
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember more then a few years ago that the ambulance services were of very poor quality.Has that improved any? or still better to just call a cab.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
changed title
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, markpa said:

I remember more then a few years ago that the ambulance services were of very poor quality.Has that improved any? or still better to just call a cab.

There may be places with a western style ambulance, I doubt there will be many. I would call a cab.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Davao might have western style ambulances.  Could expats from Davao confirm?

Edited by MacBubba

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

It is a well worn joke that unless you live next door to a hospital, a person will most likely die in traffic on the way to the emergency room.

We live close to a public hospital and it is almost a daily occurrence to see trikes and private autos "screaming" down the road with its horn blaring going to the hospital.

We have modern ambulances here in our part of Metro Manila. 50/50 chance that the back is full of barangay employees on the way to lunch (lights flashing naturally) :hystery: or being used to transport kids to school. Our neighbor needed an ambulance once, tried calling the barangay emergency number, no answer. I ended up trotting down there, getting the duty officer off her cell phone to get the ambulance dispatched.

Bottom line IMHO? If an expat has serious medical problems, ensure that you live very close to a hospital of your choice, have a plan in place for emergency transport, or accept the reality of a shortened life span:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

It is a well worn joke that unless you live next door to a hospital, a person will most likely die in traffic on the way to the emergency room.

We live close to a public hospital and it is almost a daily occurrence to see trikes and private autos "screaming" down the road with its horn blaring going to the hospital.

We have modern ambulances here in our part of Metro Manila. 50/50 chance that the back is full of barangay employees on the way to lunch (lights flashing naturally) :hystery: or being used to transport kids to school. Our neighbor needed an ambulance once, tried calling the barangay emergency number, no answer. I ended up trotting down there, getting the duty officer off her cell phone to get the ambulance dispatched.

Bottom line IMHO? If an expat has serious medical problems, ensure that you live very close to a hospital of your choice, have a plan in place for emergency transport, or accept the reality of a shortened life span:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Well Sergeant Major, that was another headshot bullseye about the screaming ambulances with occupants going for a liquid lunch.  

Es mo pun in da Philippines!

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, markpa said:

There is always the passing meat wagon?????

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I know in Cebu City there are some large older western ambulances in service. I've seen them with lights on stuck in traffic along with everyone else.

We have an emergency plan when visiting and it does not include calling "someone" for help.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, markpa said:

I think you said you were going to Cebu city. ERUF will look after you. Member Medic Mike has to do with them at times.

2 hours ago, MacBubba said:

Davao might have western style ambulances.  Could expats from Davao confirm?

Davao has the state of art emergency systems and equipment. There is a video here somewhere showing it all. 

markpa
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think you said you were going to Cebu city. ERUF will look after you. Member Medic Mike has to do with them at times.

Davao has the state of art emergency systems and equipment. There is a video here somewhere showing it all. 

:SugarwareZ-005:Good to hear that Daveo has a good EMS service and that Cebu is now in good shape too. Thanks,Mark

markpa
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, mogo51 said:

There is always the passing meat wagon?????

:thumbsup: ok still call a cab  thanks Mark

• Like 1