Ambulance service in the Philippines

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2016 at 6:12 AM, scott h said:

It is a well worn joke that unless you live next door to a hospital, a person will most likely die in traffic on the way to the emergency room.

We live close to a public hospital and it is almost a daily occurrence to see trikes and private autos "screaming" down the road with its horn blaring going to the hospital.

We have modern ambulances here in our part of Metro Manila. 50/50 chance that the back is full of barangay employees on the way to lunch (lights flashing naturally) :hystery: or being used to transport kids to school. Our neighbor needed an ambulance once, tried calling the barangay emergency number, no answer. I ended up trotting down there, getting the duty officer off her cell phone to get the ambulance dispatched.

Bottom line IMHO? If an expat has serious medical problems, ensure that you live very close to a hospital of your choice, have a plan in place for emergency transport, or accept the reality of a shortened life span:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Great post reply and agree 100%. Can't add to much except to back up your post. I've lived here for 13 years and more people die en-route to any hospital that you could ever imagine. I've gone to the hospital more than once with COPD and we just use a neighbor that has a motor tricycle. There is no 911 system to call and police and ambulances are unreliable at best. Also, ambulances here do not have advanced life support and attendants would not know how to use the equipment even if they had it. Take a taxi or trike and hope for the best.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 3

markpa
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:13 PM, Nephi said:

Great post reply and agree 100%. Can't add to much except to back up your post. I've lived here for 13 years and more people die en-route to any hospital that you could ever imagine. I've gone to the hospital more than once with COPD and we just use a neighbor that has a motor tricycle. There is no 911 system to call and police and ambulances are unreliable at best. Also, ambulances here do not have advanced life support and attendants would not know how to use the equipment even if they had it. Take a taxi or trike and hope for the best.

Nephi

:Policeman:  Now I get a better picture, it really hasn't changed that much. When I get there i'll check out private hospitals in the area. an d not be too far away. At 68 my health is pretty good,except for the cancer which is in remission. Its that 4,6, or 8 years down the road is where you have to watchout for.Mark

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, markpa said:

:Policeman:  Now I get a better picture, it really hasn't changed that much. When I get there i'll check out private hospitals in the area. an d not be too far away. At 68 my health is pretty good,except for the cancer which is in remission. Its that 4,6, or 8 years down the road is where you have to watchout for.Mark

Yea, age sneaks up on all of us no matter how hard we try to avoid it. Doctors and hospitals here are in question much of the time. In some cases it is more risky going to a doctor than to just stay at home. Some have little ability and are a legitimate danger.

That said though; you might want to search The Filipino Doctor site to get a general idea of where doctors are located.

Best things is to use only doctors that other expats will refer you to. Be sure to bring a complete set of your medical records with you including any X-rays. Doctors here will not request your records as they do there at home.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 1

markpa
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

Yea, age sneaks up on all of us no matter how hard we try to avoid it. Doctors and hospitals here are in question much of the time. In some cases it is more risky going to a doctor than to just stay at home. Some have little ability and are a legitimate danger.

That said though; you might want to search The Filipino Doctor site to get a general idea of where doctors are located.

Best things is to use only doctors that other expats will refer you to. Be sure to bring a complete set of your medical records with you including any X-rays. Doctors here will not request your records as they do there at home.

Nephi

:SugarwareZ-004:Thanks for the link Nephi what I need is a Urologist for the PSA  tests for my cancer once or twice a year, and someone to check me out on my diabetic levels and get my meds and testing supplies if I needed a script.I take oral meds only no insulin.

Nephi
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, markpa said:

:SugarwareZ-004:Thanks for the link Nephi what I need is a Urologist for the PSA  tests for my cancer once or twice a year, and someone to check me out on my diabetic levels and get my meds and testing supplies if I needed a script.I take oral meds only no insulin.

Very welcome Mark. Not too many medical issues but are serious ones. Again, to locate decent doctors you'll want to visit with other foreign expats for references if possible. A real good place for that is at any of the VFW posts here. Even if you are not a veteran, it's a great place to visit with others over a cup of coffee or a meal and pick up good, reliable information. If you are going to in or around Angeles City, I'd suggest the VFW Post there. It is the largest of all VFW posts outside of the US and many people there on a daily basis.

Nephi 

markpa
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, Old55 said:

I know in Cebu City there are some large older western ambulances in service. I've seen them with lights on stuck in traffic along with everyone else.

We have an emergency plan when visiting and it does not include calling "someone" for help.

:thumbsup: Having a plan is always a good idea espically in the P.I. The ambulances are proberly masnned by untrained persons have no clue on what to do. Mark

• Like 1

markpa
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, scott h said:

It is a well worn joke that unless you live next door to a hospital, a person will most likely die in traffic on the way to the emergency room.

We live close to a public hospital and it is almost a daily occurrence to see trikes and private autos "screaming" down the road with its horn blaring going to the hospital.

We have modern ambulances here in our part of Metro Manila. 50/50 chance that the back is full of barangay employees on the way to lunch (lights flashing naturally) :hystery: or being used to transport kids to school. Our neighbor needed an ambulance once, tried calling the barangay emergency number, no answer. I ended up trotting down there, getting the duty officer off her cell phone to get the ambulance dispatched.

Bottom line IMHO? If an expat has serious medical problems, ensure that you live very close to a hospital of your choice, have a plan in place for emergency transport, or accept the reality of a shortened life span:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

:Caught: with those kind of odds, I'll make  plan with a neighbor or call a cab. Thanks.Mark

markpa
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, robert k said:

There may be places with a western style ambulance, I doubt there will be many. I would call a cab.

:shades: from what I been heating i'll call a cab.Safer.Thanks.Mark

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, all moderate.  I do not bother with finger pricking etc found them far too unreliable.  I try to eat reasonable, but enjoy a relative 'normal' diet.  I have a blood test 2 times a year, usually all  good.

• Like 1