Medical Insurance in the Philippines

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I am sticking with Philhealth also. Looked at some rates, I am 52 and they were in the p60,000/year range plus p30,000/year for my 27 y/o wife. (Premiums are close but not exact, was a couple months ago when I checked) My bet is I can self insure for p100,000 a year, I also have the VA option to the US if I get something serious but not too serious and can't be moved.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am sticking with Philhealth also. Looked at some rates, I am 52 and they were in the p60,000/year range plus p30,000/year for my 27 y/o wife. (Premiums are close but not exact, was a couple months ago when I checked) My bet is I can self insure for p100,000 a year, I also have the VA option to the US if I get something serious but not too serious and can't be moved.

I like the idea of self, medical savings account-rollover-flex dollars.:thumbsup:

davewe
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, robert k said:

I like the idea of self, medical savings account-rollover-flex dollars.:thumbsup:

I have an HSA which by the time I retire in 5 months will have maybe $10k in it. By US health standards this is chump change but I figure when I move to the Philippines it's at least a couple heart attacks worth :smile:

BTW, speaking of heart problems I read that Bob Martin is using a program I never heard of - Phil Health Z. It's only available at a handful of hospitals with particular doctors and your procedure has to get approved but the bottom line is that he was able to get a quadruple bypass for about $5k USD. https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2015/saving_ensuring.html

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 11/12/2016 at 1:46 AM, davewe said:

I have an HSA which by the time I retire in 5 months will have maybe $10k in it. By US health standards this is chump change but I figure when I move to the Philippines it's at least a couple heart attacks worth :smile:

BTW, speaking of heart problems I read that Bob Martin is using a program I never heard of - Phil Health Z. It's only available at a handful of hospitals with particular doctors and your procedure has to get approved but the bottom line is that he was able to get a quadruple bypass for about $5k USD. https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2015/saving_ensuring.html

Interesting Dave. I googled it and found that other serious illnesses are covered under this PhilHealth Z plan. 

I had trouble finding a comprehensive list of designated hospitals, but I guess a patient's doctor/hospital could point them in the right direction. I think that PhilHealth is a bargain, and benefits so many here in the Philippines. I guess one would have to research and inform themselves as to what illnesses/procedure might be covered. If a Filipino spouse is 60 or above, I would assume that a Philippine senior citizen discount would also be factored in. That would not pertain to we expats though. Here are some of the illnesses covered. 

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/49624-philhealth-z-benefit-package-faq

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2016 at 7:49 AM, mogo51 said:

This is what I meant Benington.  All good whilst they are collecting, not good when they are paying or have paid - premiums soar as you have experienced.

As a former Insurance investigator of many years (which was rather lopsided as I don't like Insurance Companies), this was my and many others experience.  I will join PhilHealth as soon as I can when I get there and keep a 'bank' separate for medical expenses.

Moto I am laying iin  bed right now with a broken neck and several fractures. I will write report when able. As an Aussie you can avail 1 cover, on line. They are fantastic and cheap.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Moto I am laying iin  bed right now with a broken neck and several fractures. I will write report when able. As an Aussie you can avail 1 cover, on line. They are fantastic and cheap.

What the heck!  Hope you are ok!!!!!!!  Bike accident?  Fill us in when possible.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

As an Aussie you can avail 1 cover, on line. They are fantastic and cheap.

Do you mean before you leave Australia or after as usually 12 months is the best you will get so if you are staying longer from my understanding you can not renew from abroad ? 

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2016 at 6:05 PM, Queenie O. said:

Interesting Dave. I googled it and found that other serious illnesses are covered under this PhilHealth Z plan. 

I had trouble finding a comprehensive list of designated hospitals, but I guess a patient's doctor/hospital could point them in the right direction. 

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/49624-philhealth-z-benefit-package-faq

The article you referenced said 23 hospitals and the map showed which ones, including one in Cebu City - Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

The article you referenced said 23 hospitals and the map showed which ones, including one in Cebu City - Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.

I saw that Dave, but I wasn't sure if that was a complete list or not. In Cebu, that Vicente Sotto Hospital is the public one, that most average Filipinos would use and benefit from. For us expats, I was hoping that one or more of the private teaching hospitals like Cebu Doctors' Hospital would allow the PhilHealth Z plan too. I don't see anything about that in my research though.

• 3 weeks later...
Benington
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, mogo51 said:

This is what I meant Benington.  All good whilst they are collecting, not good when they are paying or have paid - premiums soar as you have experienced.

As a former Insurance investigator of many years (which was rather lopsided as I don't like Insurance Companies), this was my and many others experience.  I will join PhilHealth as soon as I can when I get there and keep a 'bank' separate for medical expenses.

Just to update here with relevance to pre-existing conditions, Pacific Cross has moved me to their post 65 years offering which covers one for up to P750,000 for each disability over one's lifetime. Obviously that could backfire if one has many recurrent ops for the same issue...but, as is likely,if one has separate issues it seems reasonable. Except that one has to co-pay 10pc and the premium has been bumped up from P26,000 to P40,000 a year, and that will now increase significantly each year...which it didn't do before. This is just in-patient cover too, so definitely a need for a "bank".

Don't know whether they will accept new business with pre-existing conditions though.

• Like 1