Swimming Pools

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone

Just seeking some advice on building a swimming pool. I am currently looking at different options available from Concrete to above ground framed.

All seem to have advantages and disadvantages and the one I am really interested in is the Fibre Glass pre fabricated pool which can fit into a prepared hole.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of having a pool constructed. I believe my budget will be around Php 400k.

Any advice appreciated.

Paul

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

above ground framed.

I know a couple of guys who had pools installed but I never asked them details like how much they spent.  I only asked about the maintenance and both said it was a bit of a pain in the ass but so long as they could afford a pool boy and the equipment and chemicals then it was no hassle.

But my question is:  What advantages of an above ground framed pool could you find in Philippines?  I've never seen one here.  Every Philippine pool I can think of starts with a hole in the ground.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

My husband wanted a pool, but out in the province I'm always afraid about curious children who might wander in and could drown quickly. It seems too much of a headache to me. If you can secure it in your yard I guess it would be great. I've never seen an above ground pool here either.

Not to veer off topic too much, but it seems neighborhood children in our area sadly have little in the area of recreation or things to keep them occupied. My husband has a colorful pumpboat that he parks below us on a floating raft during the dry season when the ocean is calm. The neighbor kids from nearby along the water sometimes can't seem to resist being drawn to it as if it was a big toy. We have to keep an eye out that they don't get rowdy or get hurt near it. A supervised  park/playground would be so welcome to these kids even in the summer months when school is out.

We do take them out for a ride in the boat from time to time and how they love it.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

pool boy

Oh pool boy!!

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Have you thought about the extra electrical bill costs. Here in Thailand, our electric was q500bht mth, but those with pools their costs were 10k and up mth.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Have you thought about the extra electrical bill costs. Here in Thailand, our electric was q500bht mth, but those with pools their costs were 10k and up mth.

Seems pretty high. Guess that's for the filtration system, we are also pondering having a small pool installed. Mongo any idea the size of the pools your referring to, would not like to be stuck with that  10k every month.

Have heard there is an automatic chlorine system one can avail of, guess still quite a lot of other maintenance needed.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

They are not oversized pools that I am talking about, probably 15mts long by 10m wide, one owner had a bill for 12k for the month. Remember electricity is much cheaper in Thailand, than in Phils, so it could be worse there.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

They are not oversized pools that I am talking about, probably 15mts long by 10m wide, one owner had a bill for 12k for the month. Remember electricity is much cheaper in Thailand, than in Phils, so it could be worse there.

They could have also used alot more Aircon etc  then you did. That would make their bill higher then yours.. i dont really see the pool pump/filter system raising the use of electricity so much...

Be ready to pay a poolboy if you have trees around your house. I can imagine it being full of leafs everyday among other trash that prople throw on the streets and wind picks up. A tall wall would help with the flying trash problem.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You could be right Sander, but it was universal with the pool owners. Air Con may also be a factor of course.

From what I can see electricity is at least double the price between Thai/Phils.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to think what might cause the extremely high electric bills and the best I can come up with is:  If I have to ask then I cannot afford one.

• Like 4