"House Blessing" and "Pang Pang" thoughts

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Have any of you been involved with either these practices or similar ones?

Yes Queenie, when we broke ground on our new house, I was told to go buy two live white chickens which were sacrificed and the blood scattered over the foundation. Guess it worked, didn't have any major injuries during construction.

After the house was completed we invited some friends and family over and I went to the cathedral on a pedicab to gather the priest. He said some prayers and sprinkled holy water inside in every room and outside also. House is still standing so who is to say otherwise :hystery:.

Doesn't stop there either, when we had our cars body work repaired, we attended mass at a local church. After the mass I pulled the car around back with three others, opened the hood, trunk and all four doors and the priest walked around all the cars blessing them.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Tim.  Queenie/Robert really?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My folks had their Priest sprinkle Holy water and hold a short service for their new home. Nothing was sacrificed or blood let. :huh-huh:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Yes Queenie, when we broke ground on our new house, I was told to go buy two live white chickens which were sacrificed and the blood scattered over the foundation. Guess it worked, didn't have any major injuries during construction.

Hi Scott, I've heard that this popular ritual is called "Padugo", a form of bloodletting.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We put Sea salt in the Foundations and a Time capsule in the Corner Column  by the water pump, Our Nephew a Lay priest, blessed the Build and we have had good Fortune all the way so far, BTW the water Pump has never run Dry 

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Good topic, come to think about it

I have only been to one house blessing here in UK,

But after a long conversation to Philippines, a couple of years back my wife prepared a ritual which included the burning of charcoal.

She then set off around the house entering every room with a candle in one hand and the burning charcoal in the other!

Asking for God's safe keeping and mighty protection.

Apart from all the  smoke on my newly painted ceilings, when we opened the doors it looked like a house fire! :Caught:

Like a lot of traditions these practices no longer take place here. I can not recall a Priest blessing/visiting the new home of any of the English church goer's for many years. But we do have a sign on the wall saying "God bless this house" (Made in Philippines )

At New Year, especially in Scotland tradition is to be the first to enter the house at the stroke of midnight carrying a piece of coal and bread.

( hard to find coal in UK these days) to bring food and warmth to the family.

Another Filipino tradition is, before taking a long journey we pray for God's protection.........so Amen to that. :thumbsup:

• Like 4