Flight from US to Cebu

JasonE
Posted
Posted

So I bought my ticket today and wanted to share.

Got my ticket for $751 flying out of Chicago to Cebu which will be a 33 hour flight.

I did a lot of seaching to find a flight for August 4th and most flights from my area was between $1300 to $1800 for when I wanted to fly. By switching to Chicago (and driving 3 hours away from where I live) I was able to cut the cost by half.

So when finding a flight don't just look right were you live, check places within a reasonable driving distance and you could save big.

So I will be getting to Cebu on August 6, I hope I can meet up with some of the local expats in the area.

See you in August!! :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good price.  I'm taking a guess its a one way ticket at that price?  If so you need to read the need for an exit ticket.

Hope you have a great time.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, JasonE said:

Got my ticket for $751 flying out of Chicago to Cebu which will be a 33 hour flight.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I recently seen some round trip flights to Cebu from LAX for around $660 USD.  From Florida, where I'm based, flights in late September were all around $1,500  (from TPA / MCO / PBI or MIA) and up. I travel often to LA for biz, so might just leave from there next time. 

Another good tip is if your dates are flexible then use Google's ITA Matrix monthly calendar to find your flight - sometimes just shifting your travel plans by a day or two can save you a significant amount of $$$. 

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Click on "see calendar of monthly fares" and go from there.

Note that you can't book a flight from the above website; best to then go to the respective airline's website to book it or of course from your favorite travel site - but they often add a small surcharge. 

• Like 3

JasonE
Posted
Posted

Its a round trip ticket, I read a lot making sure to get an exit ticket.

I am sure if I would have been able to get a ticket way earlier I might have gotten a bit cheaper. But I am happy with the price all things considered. 

I will have to check out that site, good to have more info. Thanks.

One less thing to have to worry about...lol

davewe
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gator said:

Another good tip is if your dates are flexible then use Google's ITA Matrix monthly calendar to find your flight - sometimes just shifting your travel plans by a day or two can save you a significant amount of $$$. 

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I use the Matrix also. It's amazing how often changing your dates by a couple days or a week makes a big difference. 

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good price... Im European Based tho. Ended up paying about 800USD for my Flight Manila-HK-Frankfurt-Estonia with Lufthansa one way.... Paid 10% more for my Fiances and our Sons tocket... Manila-HK-Frankfurt-Tallinn and back on the same flights.... Hopefully she wont have to use it and we will get her a temp living promission... but this booking is just incase we dont... Filipinas need a ticket to "prove" they will return to the "paradise called PH" ... this return ticket took care of that and she has a ticket back home if the European visa wont work out like we thought it would....

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

+ 1 on the fly to lax and get a RT ticket to the Philippines. Last time I set the return flight 11 months in the future and I actually used it. The RT (to Dallas/Ft.Worth) was only about $100 more than a one way and a throwaway.

Since your end destination is Cebu city-ish, of course it's better for you to fly there.

I generally shop for shorter layovers on my flights and will gladly spend $100 to cut 10-12 hours out of the travel time. I generally fly into Manila which for me has generally been cheaper and I get some shopping done. Then I travel by land/water so I can see the country. Domestic flight baggage allowance is fairly small but you can pay a fee for overage in advance which is much cheaper than showing up with too much luggage. Just remember that a heavy small bag is the carry on.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

They have got that covered now also, usually they weight the carry on as well.

robert k
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Sad to hear that. They didn't weigh my carry on last year.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I had that happen once, Hong Kong to Manila. A month later I was moving to put my bag on the scale and he said no, not necessary. Both flights were Philippine Air, only difference was the ticket agent. No other flights to or from other countries even mentioned my carry on.