Medicals Camiguin Island

RBM
Posted
Posted

For those readers living in Philippines or regular visitors nature, volcanos and remoteness  probably comes to mind when hearing Camiguin. Also for us, this is our 6th visit and we truly love the Island although it's changing, not for the better in my opinion.

This is the first time we have required any medical service and after today probably the last as we are reluctant to return. Yesterday my partner started having a cough which became worse. We went to mercury sort advice and bought some medicine which did not help. First thing this am returned and the pharmacist advised a different brand which we bought, also ineffective.  

Concerned the constant coughing may do lasting damage we decided to seek out a doctor. Well the ordeal began around 10am and by 4pm we were still on the scooter involved in a wild goose chase. All clinics were impossibly hard to find, no signs at all, when finally discovered, doctor not around and nobody knows when he returns.  The hospital here is honestly worse than a cattle yard, I would not even bring the dog in. No wonder so many ex pats have passed over here recently. 

Finally around 5pm after the whone  day trying we were able speak to a doctor, of course antibiotics prescribed. Hope correct.

Guys think carefully before deciding to settle in semi remote areas, it's fine when all is well, if things go belly up health wise.....well good luck as it's sure going to be needed.

• Like 5

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, RBM said:

For those readers living in Philippines or regular visitors nature, volcanos and remoteness  probably comes to mind when hearing Camiguin. Also for us, this is our 6th visit and we truly love the Island although it's changing, not for the better in my opinion.

This is the first time we have required any medical service and after today probably the last as we are reluctant to return. Yesterday my partner started having a cough which became worse. We went to mercury sort advice and bought some medicine which did not help. First thing this am returned and the pharmacist advised a different brand which we bought, also ineffective.  

Concerned the constant coughing may do lasting damage we decided to seek out a doctor. Well the ordeal began around 10am and by 4pm we were still on the scooter involved in a wild goose chase. All clinics were impossibly hard to find, no signs at all, when finally discovered, doctor not around and nobody knows when he returns.  The hospital here is honestly worse than a cattle yard, I would not even bring the dog in. No wonder so many ex pats have passed over here recently. 

Finally around 5pm after the whone  day trying we were able speak to a doctor, of course antibiotics prescribed. Hope correct.

Guys think carefully before deciding to settle in semi remote areas, it's fine when all is well, if things go belly up health wise.....well good luck as it's sure going to be needed.

RBM,

Great Post. I know through reading on here that you are well travelled throughout the Phils.  Thank You for your post, it is really good information for newbies in the Phils or people that are still overseas planning their future and imaging the delights of a nice quiet tranquil place but not being aware of the problems it may bring.

Hope your partner has a speedy recovery sir.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You can be in a quiet place here which is not too far from a hospital which I would recommend. We are all getting older which is when problems start to show or are of a more serious nature because of our age.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2016 at 4:49 AM, RBM said:

Great post RBM to remind people that health care service availability and quality should also be a consideration when choosing a place to plant your roots in the Philippines. Hope your partner is on the mend.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Great post RBM to remind people that health care service availability and quality should also be a consideration when choosing a place to plant your roots in the Philippines. Hope your partner is on the mend.

Agree. But also if I may add as reminder that health care services include emergency medical services as well.

As most accidents occur around the home it's always a good idea to keep a well stocked first aide kit handy. Especially in country where EMS may not even be an option or where they could take hours to respond and is likely manned by poorly trained (if at all) staff. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

EMS may not even be an option or where they could take hours to respond and is likely manned by poorly trained (if at all) staff. 

EMS training may not be to Western standards, but it is adequate. What the personnel lack is equipment and supplies. The idea of having an emergency kit is a good one either for self use or to share with EMS personnel when they arrive. Possibly, the Philippine Red Cross offers basic emergency training. My wife and I both participated in CPR training.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

RBM, please let us all know how things are going now? Hope all is well. 

Bruce
Posted
Posted
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:49 AM, RBM said:

A lot of this drama could have been avoided. #1 are you or your partner allergic to any known antibiotics? If so, simply use a different class of antibiotics.

Medically, there are 2 ways to approach this. Reactively or presumptively. A doctor in a 1st world country does some of both depending on the situation. Prescribe something, do tests to confirm or rule out and then make a treatment adjustment as need. Much of my work in the Philippines is done presumptively in that those I encounter with medical issues are often unable to buy meds or a complete term of meds and certainly not able to pay for tests. I have to make the best decision I can, factoring in what is available and costs. You too can do the same!   

The #1 antibiotic in the Philippines is amoxicillin. Very safe and well tolerated for those not allergic, limited side effects and cheap. In 250 or 500mg depending on patient body weight. 1 every 8 hours. Positive effects seen in 24 hours in most cases. Most non venereal disease issues take 5 days or treatment, with a full 10 days for venereal (500 mg) issues for the patient and all sex partners too.

So, do what 'yachties' do. Prepare a medical kit and do what you think is right and if things don't improve in a day, hop on the scooter. Even the dreaded Dengue Fever is actually treated by acetaminophen (paracetamol?) and drinking a lot of fluids. 7 days later you will be much better. If you go to the hospital, you will get acetaminophen, IV fluids and a bill!

A simple adaptation of criminal law in the US..... The supreme court has decided that the police have NO OBLIGATION to protect you, or to come to your rescue on your time frame. In the US, you are responsible for you until the police show up! So, by adapting this logic of YOU are responsible for YOU, look up some common medical things on Dr. Google, copy and paste to a word document, and print out the signs and treatment. For most, less than $50 USD will buy emergency acetaminophen, amoxicillin, hydrochlorothiazide (cheap BP meds) pepto bismol, and a few other similar over the counter meds to make your life more comfortable. Yes, the Philippines has a law about a prescription for some meds, is it enforced... no. I 'walk the slums' in Manila and stay out in rural Samar. Been in 50+ pharmacies to buy meds for locals. Never been turned down.     

The main point is that do not let a simple health scare stop you from enjoying the Philippines! Simply take some precautionary steps and then do what you would normally do... Have fun!  

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. We are doing fine now, my partner although still coughing has improved considerably with the antibiotics kicking in.Also raw honey seems to be soothing her throat.

Bruce I am not able to understand your comments that most of our drama could of been avoided. We do as always travel with an extensive first aid kit, especially as we ride motorbikes cycles. Although I have some first aid training  I do not consider myself qualified to decide what or in fact if antibiotics are required. We try to ovoid these if possible.

As I attempted to point out in my post, the drama was to find a doctor here. We spent the best part of a day just trying to do that.

The reason for the post was more to raise awareness among us that we should all be aware small Island paradises like Camiguin can have very limited medical facilities.

Later  I'll post a report on the small facility where we are staying.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Bruce said:

The #1 antibiotic in the Philippines is amoxicillin

Which is almost useless against bacterial infections, most of the serious bacteria are already resistant to Amoxicillin, but it is Rx commonly because it's the cheapest.

Nice post RBM, hope she continues progressing.

• Like 5