possible to survive?

robert k
Posted
Posted

I tend to think of survival as the last stage before not surviving.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Like others, I am confused about what information the opening post is looking for, so I will just post the Philippine government's official position on refugees.  It is too long to quote so if its what you are looking for just follow the link

http://malacanang.gov.ph/75632-historical-ph-haven-for-refugees/

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mike_56 said:

Maybe its not a right place to ask it. Most expats are in the Ph for tourism/marriage purposes and receive income from high gdp home countries. However its not that sweet all over the world, and Ph has visa free policy with many places, this means it may be an option for those especially desperate citizens of our planet. Would coming there without money equal to committing suicide in any other location in the world? Would it still be the same if a foreigner legalized his presence there? The cruel system of detention and deportation is not news. However in its history there are rare cases known when it gave hope to some people, for example it accepted boat migrants. Where and how they live? Despite extreme poverty people still manage to survive and even have families with 8 children; their homes may be poor but they have some expensive items such as motocycles and have money for petrol. How is it possible?

Delete illegal suggestions. Read rules

In Australia the benefit called Newstart stops when you leave the country. But so far I digressed.

If you paid your immigration fees up front, you could live in a Nipa Hut on the beach for 6 months for $300 US=around 14,000 pesos a month. This does not take into account bad weather....June-July up to November.

Yes it could be done but it would be a miserable existence perhaps after a few weeks.

My mate Rene a 68 yo surfer lives in Sabang, the surfing capital of Ilocos Sur paying 3000 pesos a month rent. He's bachelor, cooks his own food, doubt if he spends 200 a day for food. He does drink and smokes, so factor that. But Rene tells me he has "life savings and an Aussie Pension" despite that he shows no sign of wealth. But he disappears down to Angeles once a month for a break. He has no gf here, he says it creates problems.

So yes it could be done but without backup cash it is not advisable.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Breaking rules
  • Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

If you have no savings and no monthly income (pensions, online work etc etc), then coming into Philippines is suicide. The PH goverment cant take care of their own citizen, let alone people from other countries. You will have to pay for everything you need and use. Visa fees alone are a big pile of money every month.

If your still in Afganistan, then your much better off trying your luck as a boat tourist to Europe.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, chris49 said:

My mate Rene a 68 yo surfer lives in Sabang, the surfing capital of Ilocos Sur paying 3000 pesos a month rent. He's bachelor, cooks his own food, doubt if he spends 200 a day for food. He does drink and smokes, so factor that. But Rene tells me he has "life savings and an Aussie Pension" despite that he shows no sign of wealth. But he disappears down to Angeles once a month for a break. He has no gf here, he says it creates problems.

So yes it could be done but without backup cash it is not advisable.

Quick Google says that Basic State Pension in AU is around 800AUD per fortnight. So thats 1600per month + whatever he gets from he's superannuation fund.

Lets be honest 1600AUD a month isn't a small ammount to live in the Phillipines. You wont live a rich life, but a comfy life. If you manage to live like your friend Rene, then you dont really even need any savings (dont know how much and what he drinks tho - he might down a bottle of Johnny Walker everyday and that would eat money fast ?).

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Quick Google says that Basic State Pension in AU is around 800AUD per fortnight. So thats 1600per month + whatever he gets from he's superannuation fund.

Lets be honest 1600AUD a month isn't a small ammount to live in the Phillipines. You wont live a rich life, but a comfy life. If you manage to live like your friend Rene, then you dont really even need any savings (dont know how much and what he drinks tho - he might down a bottle of Johnny Walker everyday and that would eat money fast ?).

Yeah well all that.

But even in Rene's case living frugal. Notice he goes to Angeles once a month.

So the throwback to the OP is that if it could be done, that's only over a very short time span.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, chris49 said:

So the throwback to the OP is that if it could be done, that's only over a very short time span.

OP says that he's location is Kabul, Afganistan and he's asking about coming here without any money. Not sure if Afganistan has a state pension system, but if they do then i doubt the monthly pension would even be enough for the turist visa costs here.

chris49
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

If you have no savings and no monthly income (pensions, online work etc etc), then coming into Philippines is suicide. The PH goverment cant take care of their own citizen, let alone people from other countries. You will have to pay for everything you need and use. Visa fees alone are a big pile of money every month.

If your still in Afganistan, then your much better off trying your luck as a boat tourist to Europe.

Got your point, but quite sure they don't have boats out of Aghan.

It gets weirder when a guy like Mike the OP is posting out of Aghan, of course he might be working there or stationed there, but then he would have cash, one might think.

What more?

Next topic please.

• Like 1

Mike_56
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Route to Europe is for well off people. It seems that most of you expats don't quite understand the refugee crisis. That scam calling themselves "refugees" are well eating, well housed, well f ing citizens, having big families, entitled to all possible and impossible rights in their home countries who are just frustrated with living in a low gdp economy, hence all the whining about lack of democracy, wars and uprisings. So what they want is to get annual income of 60 k usd instead of 6 or Europe to give them the difference. Another completely different situation is when a person is given a death sentence in his country with the role of executioner given to the mother nature, so that it is no one's crime. Let's admit that everything you have, including your body is still in existence only due to you being given access to the economy of your country (or any other country). As a result of the 1st type refugees being all over headlines, refugees of 2nd type get no help. I was thinking that if Ph had no economy its 100 mln population would have perished. Of course Im not being naive to think that in the meanest times we live in when people fight over food and resources like rats it would be easy to make a living out of any country's economy.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

There is no social safety net here.  It is a terrible place to be poor.  If I had no money I would go somewhere else - anywhere else.  It is also very xenophobic... all foreigners will be foreigners and outsiders forever.  They put up with us because we are perceived to be rich.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic