Do it yourself toilet installation

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Here are some pics of a toilet I had paid to have installed for a family. It is in the corner of the room of a 1 room block 'house' 8' x 8'x and has a corrugated tin roof with tires on top to keep the wind from blowing the roof away. Note the religious crosses drawn on the wall and pictures and statutes. The mother has slight mental breakdown in dealing with the poverty and this is her way of welcoming god into the house to save them.

Basically, the workers dug up the floor, took a 55 gal drum, took off the top, cut a 4" hole in the bottom and installed it upside down in the ground. Then cemented the floor over it and attached the toilet bowl to the 4" hole in the cement floor. As the toilet is used, it flushes the waste into the 55 gal drum where it leeches into the ground. Simple but does take up space in the room and there is no ventilation. But better than 'doing your business' in a bucket and having to empty the bucket out in the street area. I have been helping them for several years and they saved up money I sent to put in the toilet. 

This should give you an idea of what the school wants to do there.

Bruce  

100_5623.png100_5624.png100_5625.png100_5626.png100_5627.png100_5628.png100_5629.png100_5630.png  

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Actually, I was hoping to help Jake. As we all know he is in the dog house more than his own house, so this is a simple easy way for him to have the benefits of indoor plumbing in the dog house!

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Pee might leach into the grown, but what about the stuff that comes from the 2nd hole??

My moms house has a septic system with a drainage field, but she still has to get a poo suction truck to come and pump the poop and toilet paper out ever 4-5 years (2 people in the house). Liquid gets drained awey into the field (if it was a closed system, she would be ordering the poo suction truck 1-2 times a year).

Also its a good 100meters from the house and you wouldn't want it near the house as it would stinks right next to the "breathing" pipes (or whatever they are called - used to release the gasses from the septic tank).

Edited by Sander Martin

Bruce
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Pee might leach into the grown, but what about the stuff that comes from the 2nd hole??

My moms house has a septic system with a drainage field, but she still has to get a poo suction truck to come and pump the poop and toilet paper out ever 4-5 years (2 people in the house). Liquid gets drained awey into the field (if it was a closed system, she would be ordering the poo suction truck 1-2 times a year).

Also its a good 100meters from the house and you wouldn't want it near the house as it would stinks right next to the "breathing" pipes (or whatever they are called - used to release the gasses from the septic tank).

Bacteria eats it and liquefies it and it also is absorbed by the ground. The good part is that there is no sink, shower / tub hook up so no soaps or grease to mess up the system. Long term issues are to use good rebar in the cement floor to support the weight of the toilet user as over years the steel drum rusts out. Also a mild caustic gas is released by the break down waste material which will erode the cement again over years and years.

While this is a very basic cheap system, the principle is the same all over the world in all septic / cess pool systems.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our "septic tank" is just a buried cement box that is open on the bottom.  Everything just leeches out. I asked about suction trucks and was met with confused blank stares...  Of course the sinks and shower just drain into the yard.  Which is also the set up we had in the city at our apartment ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Our "septic tank" is just a buried cement box that is open on the bottom.  Everything just leeches out. I asked about suction trucks and was met with confused blank stares...  Of course the sinks and shower just drain into the yard.  Which is also the set up we had in the city at our apartment ha ha  :tiphat:

They might get some Kuyas with buckets to clean it once in a decade ????

Edited by Sander Martin

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

They might get some Kuyas with buckets to clean it once in a decade

You are so close to the truth :whistling:

There are trucks that come and empty septic tanks every few years if can figure out where to get them from.  But one cheap ass foreigner that I know just dug a hole in the ground that he covered with a cement slab and that was the septic for the rental suite I stayed in.  When it was so full that shite was backing up into the shower, he hired 2 local lads to bucket out all the sludge and put it on his wife's flower garden.  This place never ceases to amaze me :shades:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

They might get some Kuyas with buckets to clean it once in a decade ????

I am not sure how they would get it open... but it probably won't need cleaning during my lifetime ha ha  :tiphat:

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Best thing in the world for grey water.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just dont see how it can be maintenance free. Theres still going to be gunk that's not going to leach into the ground... And just like in Daves case its going to build up (specialy if you use toilet paper).

They offered us a "biocleaner system" (or whatever they call them) when we had the drainage field system built for my moms house. It was those same bacteria added to eat the poop. They still said the main tank will have to be pumped from time to time... We did research and said no. Moms house is in Estonia and we get upto -30c there - the bacteria are not friends of cold (no problem here). Other big problem was that they (bacteria) didnt like all the chemicals western countries flush down now... (Might be a problem here). The Filipinos i know are very clean people cleaning their house all the time (dont know any poorer Filipinos very well tho). Even if they dont flush any chemicals, then there is still going to be gunk thats not going to leach into the ground.

Still a good improvement tho Bruce! Keep up the good work!

Edited by Sander Martin