Do it yourself toilet installation

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

The bathroom in the  small house we have in lipa was built the same way. there has been someone living in it for the last ten years and no problem. When i asked "where does this leach to"? i got the deer in the head lights look. so as long as it keeps working, im happy.........

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, robert k said:

Best thing in the world for grey water.

Well, since you brought it up. In the Philippines, 'grey water' and septic pumping is noted by roadside signs saying PISO NEGRO.

As for system maintenance, toilet paper is of no issue, 100% gone in short time. In the days of Olde, people used to add yeast as a maintenance effort to further digest what is called 'sludge'. While that did help, it also added a thick and hardening layer floating on top of the water in the tank that eventually caused trouble. Today, we use 'enzymes' to further digest the sludge without the negative issues of yeast byproducts... Note... just because yeast may have been added and yes, there may have been some 'fermenting' due to sugars in the human waste, the drinking of the final product is NOT advised!

The biggest thing you can do to prolong life of the system and to avoid a pump out, is to have 2 systems. 1 for the toilet waste only and this means no soaps or uneaten food or grease is permitted. The other is a drain field is for showers, sinks and any other water source.

If anyone is building or thinking of building a house by themselves or amusement by watching the locals do it for you, and if you have any questions, let me know and I shall try to help.

The difference in a septic system and a cess pool is that the latter has no actual drain field attached to it. Illegal in the US for many years. Today, the terms are basically interchangeable and only the older guys may be familiar with the term cess pool at all. My family has been in the plumbing business since 1867. I chose to follow the AC path to humble riches. But I still remember those dark days of working underground.....    

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Grey water is the water from showers, lavatories, sinks, washing machines / any household waste water that doesn't contain fecal matter. In case anyone needed the definition.