rebar sticking out of buildings

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Most people know we have had a place built over in the Phils and yes its not all done yet,

The plans was to have this very large house with a carport and rooms above this, but i did not want this to happen so we stopped this and all we have is a nice house fit for us and i am happy, but there is rebar sticking out at the places where there was going to be the extension,

I know i dont have to complete this extension but can i leave the metal sticking out and how long would it last for before it goes bad so you cannot use it if the extension is to be built, when you look around there seems to be every house has these metal bars sticking out at corners and even on the roofs too,

Is it best just to leave them alone do you think , here is a picture what i am on about.

11258584_10206683679758908_1969161479_n.jpg

robert k
Posted
Posted

Since the building is white, in the old days white lead paint would probably be the coating of choice. These days, rust converter would probably do as well, it's a thin acrylic that will penetrate rust and harden chemically stopping the rust process.

You might be able to get some use out of that rebar, you might try putting some hanging planters on them since you already have them.:smile:

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Or get a grinder...

• Like 5

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

Water will seep into the wall along the rebar causing rust mold and weakening the cement. The rebar sticking out could be painted with some sort of rust prevention product. I see many second or third floor unfinished   columns with rebar sticking out that have been left that way for many years. Those buildings are still standing.

I'd also run a bead of good quality caulking around it where it meets the concrete before painting. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In poorer countries, house building is sometimes through the installment plan. When the owner has money, the pillars go up. Next step might be pouring the concrete floor. The concrete walls are then added. The reason is inflation is faster than one's ability to save. In more developed countries, once you have 20% of the construction budget, you can borrow the remainder at a reasonable interest rate. Not so in the Philippines.  

The sticking out rebars anticipate a future extension when money becomes available or as the family grows.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

In poorer countries, house building is sometimes through the installment plan. When the owner has money, the pillars go up. Next step might be pouring the concrete floor. The concrete walls are then added. The reason is inflation is faster than one's ability to save. In more developed countries, once you have 20% of the construction budget, you can borrow the remainder at a reasonable interest rate. Not so in the Philippines.  

The sticking out rebars anticipate a future extension when money becomes available or as the family grows.

I think h e is suggesting here Steve to 'keep it in your pants' haha

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Painting on "red lead" or an anti-rust protector will preserve that rebar for a long time.  For people who are not planning over time to use the extended rebar,  one might notice that many builders will carelessly leave rebar sticking out here and there on a structure. Then before you paint your house you can just have those pieces hack sawed off. Looks a lot neater. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, robert k said:

Since the building is white, in the old days white lead paint would probably be the coating of choice. These days, rust converter would probably do as well, it's a thin acrylic that will penetrate rust and harden chemically stopping the rust process.

You might be able to get some use out of that rebar, you might try putting some hanging planters on them since you already have them.:smile:

I was thinking that too, or some sort of climbing plant 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Or the extended family moves in, that's why it's not going to be built while I am still here 

• Like 1