Filipino movies you have enjoyed here in the Philippines.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

I've been playing the single life lately

confused baby.jpg Bob, when did you do anythings else?

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Back in the States we used to have a dish tv plan that showed a lot of Tagalog movies, and we just watched them all the time, Now that we live here it seems not so interesting. I like to practice my limited Tagalog though, and that's a good way to do it.

I do like to watch old black and white Sampaguita films sometimes with old stars like Gloria Romero, Nida Blanca and Fernando Poe Jr.

The comedies of Dolphy and Babalu, Redford White and Andrew E. are silly and fun too. I especially love Ruffa Mae Quinto movies like Gloria, Gloria Labandera and Booba.

Sometimes you can catch a cool independent film at the Cebu City Indie Film Festival. Several Filipino independent films and stars have won awards at the Cannes Film Festival over the past few years and even lately.

I haven't had the interest to go to watch a new regular Tagalog movie in a theatre for a long time though.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Time for me to eat some serious crow.

While its true that I have yet to view a Filipino film I found worthwhile a little research shows there are a number of world class Filipno films made over the years.

We are a member of The Criterion Collection through our local PBS station. Over the years I have collected some of these films. And viewed a fair number of others. Philippines is well represented to my surprise. Over time I hope to view many of them with my wife. If any really stand out I'll share them with you all.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

There is one film that I watched at my wife's insistence, because she values its historical and symbolic content.  It's called Oro, Plata, Mata.  It shows the changes undergone by Filipinos during the Japanese occupation.

It had no subtitles, but was beautifully translated by my wife, whose command of the English language is unassailable.  I don't know if there is a copy out there with subtitles, but if they ever decide to make the movie in English, I would be first in line to watch it to see how it compares against my wife's narrative.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MacBubba said:

I don't know if there is a copy out there with subtitles

If you are downloading the movie, you will quite often have to search for the subtitles separately.  If you ever decide you want to do that then here is a link that claims to have subtitles for the Oro, Plata, Mata.  If you use it be sure to download the English subs and realize that some of the transcribers are just doing this as a hobby so the translations are not perfect.  If you hate the subtitles you can search for others until you find one that is to your liking.

http://www.scaricarefilm.eu/movie/86056-oro-plata-mata

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, Dave!  I will wait until I get a bag of chicharron to enhance the movie watching experience.

Edited by MacBubba
  • Like 3

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2016 at 8:25 PM, Queenie O. said:

I do like to watch old black and white Sampaguita films sometimes with old stars like Gloria Romero, Nida Blanca and Fernando Poe Jr.

ditto... QTV (now GMA news channel) used to play black and white movies before.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
DC_Moe
Posted
Posted

Hmmm! I probably shouldn't mention this, but I was in two Filipino films, one called Sticks of Death, and I don't remember the name of the other. I remember, after being spoiled by HK films, thinking "this movie is gonna suck" lol lol. The company I worked for, CineSuerte, never even sent my family copies of the final cut!

I can't get through films other than Dolphy films. Maybe the quality's improved since my 20s. My cousin owns a movie theater in Dau, so I'll definitely hang out and check a few out!

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Watched "Bakit Lahat ng Gwapo may Boyfriend? " yesterday, and I found it pleasant, especially with Anne Curtis in the lead role. Saw another one on the flight here from the US, don't remember the name, but it was good too.

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

The only one i have liked is "Metro Manila". The wife watches a lot of movies from the PH but they are in my mind just not so good.

• Like 1