I'm going home...

robert k
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you sure you are not just talking about homely people. (Click here for meaning if you don't get it)

I believe that Mark Twain said that "home is the place that when you have to go there, they have to take you in".

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

So why are you here then?

I'm being facetious. In case you don't know me by now. Sorry.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robert k said:

I think the best I have heard home described is "home is not a place, it's people".

There is a song that says, " A house is not a home". Yes, a home is where ever your heart is. There are no permanent homes. 

I have a wife here and a step son and for the time being this is my home, like it or not.

My family, relatives, friends and other things are in the states. This here is just my home away from home.

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I guess these days, nothing is permanent anymore.  Another job or a different career, which often times means relocation.  How about another marriage or mid life crisis or finally retiring from work or family responsibilities -- and now have an extreme desire to see the world and start a new and different life.   

From my perspective (as a Filipino), I consider the Philippines to be my last resting place.  Give me a nice warm sunset, a cold beer and a warm companion before I kiss my ass goodbye.  

I shall join you guys one day.  Well done Davao Bob!

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, i am bob said:

Yeah, I've reached that point that I'm just going to go home...  And, at the present, that means here in Davao...!  Yes, this is my home now and I'll probably die here... But not for another 30 or 40 years... Hehe!

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many others consider the Philippines as their home now...  Or do you still have the old country listed first in your heart as your home..?

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

I think the idea of home is more emotionally important than many of us think. I grew up on the East Coast. Moved to the West Coast after college, 40+ years ago. For several years every time things got sticky I would say "Soon I will move back home," meaning the East Coast. At some point without even making the decision I starting defining the city I lived in as "home" and the East Coast as "the place I grew up." Once I made that leap I was much happier.

Interestingly, now that the Philippines is under my skin, even though I don't yet live there, when I am there I very much feel at home and when I leave to "go back" I feel like I am leaving home. I know, I know - it's complicated being me :smile:

We all have a strange and compelling need for home and I suspect we are healthiest when our physical and emotional home is the same.

I am happy that Bob has found his home in Davao!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, davewe said:

I think the idea of home is more emotionally important than many of us think.

I believe it to be a learned behaviour.  When you grow up in a family that never lives in the same city (and sometimes even the same country) for more than 3 consecutive years then your anchor is not a place, its a group of people.  For example, one of the places I call home is the house my mother lives in.  I have never been there because she moved while I have been in Philippines.  Its still 'home' (there are a few places I think of as home) and I will be going home next month, for a visit.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, davewe said:

I think the idea of home is more emotionally important than many of us think. I grew up on the East Coast. Moved to the West Coast after college, 40+ years ago. For several years every time things got sticky I would say "Soon I will move back home," meaning the East Coast. At some point without even making the decision I starting defining the city I lived in as "home" and the East Coast as "the place I grew up." Once I made that leap I was much happier.

Interestingly, now that the Philippines is under my skin, even though I don't yet live there, when I am there I very much feel at home and when I leave to "go back" I feel like I am leaving home. I know, I know - it's complicated being me :smile:

We all have a strange and compelling need for home and I suspect we are healthiest when our physical and emotional home is the same.

I am happy that Bob has found his home in Davao!

Ah...  But it's not just Davao but the Philippines...  I'm still thinking of a move to Mati...  About 3 hours away but paradise...  :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681: