Thought you might like to see like to see my garden plant

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Here's one of my jasmine trees in flower this morning. It's in severe need of a pruning.

20160907_073553.jpg

20160907_073542.jpg

20160907_073542.jpg

Wow --that's huge! Beautiful! Florida gardening has many of the advantages that we have here in the tropics. You'd love gardening here too!

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't mind fruit trees. I cleared something in the neighborhood of half an acre on my lot last year. If I stay here (I'll know by Spring), I am going to plant lots of stuff in that space. Guava, mango, papaya, plantain and banana, avocado, and of course citrus. 

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you Queen O and Reboot my wife and enjoyed those very much.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Nice.. Here's an idea for images.jpg you  Greatfuled--you could get some pots and plant some calamansi or lemonsito citrus plants. They come in a pretty verigated variety too, and every flower turns into a fruit. The fragrance of the flowers are similar to orange blossoms. I have some even a variety called King Calamansi that makes a bigger fruit. They're pretty easy to grow and make a nice showing as they get bigger over time. I think that would be a fun project. Every time the fruit is picked, it encourages more flowers/fruit to form, so there are mostly always flowers or fruit or both. Think about it..-  QueenieCitrofortunellaMitis2.jpgdownload.jpgimages (1).jpg

Thank you ever so much Queenie. I shall check it out soon. It would be perfect here. We use a lot of calamansi.

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

The fascinating part is how that fragrance just disappears in the morning without a trace!

Ylang-ylang is similar.  The scent is activated at around 5:30 pm, and is gone the following morning.  Perhaps because it is not as heavily aromatic as dama de noche, it does not set off my wife's allergies.  That, or it could be that the blossoms are so high up that all we are getting is a diffused aroma.

Stranger still is that the ylang-ylang, which I have seen and smelt in sampaguita leis, retains its aroma in the daytime when plucked.  Don't know why we are not able to smell it on the tree in the daytime.

Edited by MacBubba
Add another line or so.
  • Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Reboot said:

That Dama de Noche piece is excellent

I shall check them both out. Thanks 

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

Ylang-ylang is similar.  The scent is activated at around 5:30 pm, and is gone the following morning.  Perhaps because it is not as heavily aromatic as dama de noche, it does not set off my wife's allergies.  That, or it could be that the blossoms are so high up that all we are getting is a diffused aroma.

Stranger still is that the ylang-ylang, which I have seen and smelt in sampaguita leis, retains its aroma in the daytime when plucked.  Don't know why we are not able to smell it on the tree in the daytime.

I'm learning something new every time I come here. Thanks Bubba

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

That's a beautiful fragrance too MacBubba. Someone gave me a small seedling from their tree to plant in the yard but sadly I lost it. The essential oil from this flower is now a super popular additive to many trendy perfumes. Another tree with a similar fragrant flower here is tsampaka. I had a tree but it blew down during Yolanda.TsampakangPulaPD2.jpg

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jake said:

On 9/6/2016 at 5:40 PM, Queenie O. said:

The flowers of this shrub as soon as night falls, will give off a most heady, sweet, exotic fragrance that fills the yard. As soon as morning comes, the flower fragrance just turns off like a switch.. Back again when night falls! Not much to look at during the day, but come nighttime, a very romantic and mysterious plant.

Queenie

Hmmm.......so by getting a whiff of this exotic fragrance, does one get affected by being active at night and dormant during the day?  You know.....like Dracula?  Speaking of dormant, I would like to order a bushel of ladies of the night.  I understand I have to pay extra for the exotic variety.  Cash on delivery OK?  Joke lang Miss Queenie!

Do you have any sampaguita plants?  I love the smell of jasmine.  I don't have much luck taking care of any plant.  I over love them -- meaning I either over water them, too much sun, too much shade, too much plant food, etc.  

Green thumb NOT -- respectfully Jake

Sorry that you don't have a green thumb Jake. You can't be good at everything! Joke lang!

Silly, sometimes I pick a little flower off the sampaguita plant and just smell it and put it in my pocket. Later I discover it wilted there, but it still smells sweet. I've read that the sampaguita fragrance is so pure that even a small potted plant on a windowsill can clear a room.

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted