Jail Condition

hocoa
Posted
Posted

Most of the Indonesians jailed for using Philippine passports are home, now a few of them told reporters about their conditions in jail;

1.      14 persons in one cell, there is no space even to sleep lying down.

2.      They were fed only once a day.

3.      They were threatened (but not tortured).

Are the above true???

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hocoa said:

Most of the Indonesians jailed for using Philippine passports are home, now a few of them told reporters about their conditions in jail;

Are the above true???

There would be no way to know for certain but based on confirmed other (news) stories and reports by expats that have been jailed it is quite likely. 14 people in one cell would be a luxury here as what I have seen on TV reports the count is usually much higher. That is also without beds, air conditioning, or even an electric fan. A stay in jail in a 3rd world country such as the Philippines is the very last place anyone would want to be.

Nephi

• Like 5

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hocoa said:

Are the above true???

Based on the recent CNN documentary (with a live video feed from within the jail) on Manila jail overcrowding due to Duterte's war on drugs it seems like these Indonesians had 4 star facilities compared to the current detainees accommodations!

• Like 5

hocoa
Posted
Posted

What is hard to believe was being fed once a day. The Philippines was already nice & kind to them as they were freed early, but some of them talked badly as if they were maltreated. According to Indonesian newspapers, there are about 1,000 Indonesians using Philippine passport now in Saudi Arabia. They will have to return through the Philippines after the hajj, is the Philippines going to jail them all? Or refuse them entry (which means returning to Saudi Arabia)?

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hocoa said:

What is hard to believe was being fed once a day. The Philippines was already nice & kind to them as they were freed early, but some of them talked badly as if they were maltreated. According to Indonesian newspapers, there are about 1,000 Indonesians using Philippine passport now in Saudi Arabia. They will have to return through the Philippines after the hajj, is the Philippines going to jail them all? Or refuse them entry (which means returning to Saudi Arabia)?

I'm not following. Why wouldn't Indonesians have Indonesian passports?

I hope you are not saying that Philippines immigration is better equipped than Indonesian immigration because that would be a scary thought.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hocoa said:

What is hard to believe was being fed once a day.

Not hard for me to believe that part.  I have heard more than one filipino talk about how they get no food in jail unless they have a friend or relative bring it to them.  I could easily imagine that they only get one meal of rice  and little else each day or there would be a lot of people turning themselves in when they felt hungry.

Like all things, I suppose food can be bought if you have any money.

• Like 2

hocoa
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I'm not following. Why wouldn't Indonesians have Indonesian passports?

I hope you are not saying that Philippines immigration is better equipped than Indonesian immigration because that would be a scary thought.

Millions of Muslims from all over the world go to Saudi Arabia (SA) for the hajj pilgrimage once a year. For this year, the festival started last month and ends next week. SA set quota for each country, some Indonesians have to wait 10 years or more. On the other hand, the Philippines always had quota surplus. So some unscrupulous businessmen offered the Indonesians the opportunity to go to hajj immediately by using Philippine quota. What some of the victims didn’t know until they arrived in the Philippines (from Indonesia) was that they will be using Philippine passports as well to go to SA.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hocoa said:

Millions of Muslims from all over the world go to Saudi Arabia (SA) for the hajj pilgrimage once a year. For this year, the festival started last month and ends next week. SA set quota for each country, some Indonesians have to wait 10 years or more. On the other hand, the Philippines always had quota surplus. So some unscrupulous businessmen offered the Indonesians the opportunity to go to hajj immediately by using Philippine quota. What some of the victims didn’t know until they arrived in the Philippines (from Indonesia) was that they will be using Philippine passports as well to go to SA.

Ok, I'm a little farther along now, but...are these legal passports? Because if they are fake they will get no sympathy from me. If someone said Psst! Hey buddy, wanna buy a passport? I would be moving at my best speed away being as conspiracy to commit even a minor crime is generally a major crime.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hocoa said:

Like any other country; if their passports are found to be not legitimate upon arrival here they will be denied entry and sent home.

• Like 2