HALSEMA HIGHWAY

RBM
Posted
Posted

As i wrote in a recent post we are heading up this way soon on an extended motor cycle tour of Luzon.

Hard to get info of the recent damage so perhaps Chris or other members may be able enlighten me as to current road conditions after the typhoon.

Advance thanks.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, RBM said:

As i wrote in a recent post we are heading up this way soon on an extended motor cycle tour of Luzon.

Hard to get info of the recent damage so perhaps Chris or other members may be able enlighten me as to current road conditions after the typhoon.

Advance thanks.

Chris briefly posted on FB that they are safe but that has been it, so I suspect they are without power and internet.  Fingers crossed that they do not have major damage.  The center of the storm was very close to Vigan.

They said Aurora was isolated.  I will ask the family about Baguio road conditions.  They are prone to landslides.

Some of the mountain areas got hit hard.  Check out this video of Bontok.

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

I spoke to Chris before getting on the plane back to Thailand and the storm had passed but no power etc. That was Saturday morning.

They are ok there, but will be inconvenienced for several days he thinks.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Avoid the Pan-Philippine Highway (AH26) between Nueva Ecija and Nueva Vizcaya. AH26 goes through the mountains and is the only road to take to get to the northern provinces of Luzon from the south. The road is normally bad going though the mountains but after Typhoon Sakira it is a real mess. I have ridden Harleys my entire life and there is no way that I would attempt AH26 through the mountains. I actually took the drive from my home in Nueva Vizcaya to San Jose in Nueva Ecija the day after Sakira and the road took a real beating. I think that I may have to replace my shocks.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Our outside communication had been cut off until last night. I read about a landslide at Benguet going out of Baguio but no update.

I would not like to say one way or the other but if it's the National Highway it's obviously clear. Buses are running. Other arterials and secondary roads hard to say from here. I think I would proceed seeking local information along the way.

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, chris49 said:

I would not like to say one way or the other but if it's the National Highway it's obviously clear

I agree that the National Highway through the mountains is clear, maybe with a few more bottlenecks then usual due to recent road damage from Sakira, but being clear doesn't make it drivable for a Harley or a touring bike. I have driven this road tens of dozens of time and believe me you don't want to drive AH26 through the mountains right now now on a motorcycle. I have a Pajero and a small Toyota and there is no way I would attempt it now with the Toyota let alone a Harley. One think for sure is your ass is going to be very sore by the time you make it Santa Fe.  

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Mr. Bobo said:

I agree that the National Highway through the mountains is clear, maybe with a few more bottlenecks then usual due to recent road damage from Sakira, but being clear doesn't make it drivable for a Harley or a touring bike. I have driven this road tens of dozens of time and believe me you don't want to drive AH26 through the mountains right now now on a motorcycle. I have a Pajero and a small Toyota and there is no way I would attempt it now with the Toyota let alone a Harley. One think for sure is your ass is going to be very sore by the time you make it Santa Fe.  

I don't know what by definition is the National Highway or if it's all in one. The MacArthur Highway covers the north and the other "Highways" are arterials through various provinces. Then you go to secondary roads then barangay roads. At any given time the mountain roads might not be passable. As you say Mr. Bobo. And we might get more rain. But I still think RBM could make his trip. Using local info and his own judgement. It might even make it more interesting.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, chris49 said:

Our outside communication had been cut off until last night. I read about a landslide at Benguet going out of Baguio but no update.

My bro-in-law in Baguio said Marcos Hwy has no major problems.  Kennon Road did not have any major slides (like the one they just fixed) but I would not travel it until dry season.  Someone will jar something loose before then.

We are going up there end of next week and we will use Marcos.

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, chris49 said:

I don't know what by definition is the National Highway or if it's all in one. The MacArthur Highway covers the north and the other "Highways" are arterials through various provinces. Then you go to secondary roads then barangay roads. At any given time the mountain roads might not be passable. As you say Mr. Bobo. And we might get more rain. But I still think RBM could make his trip. Using local info and his own judgement. It might even make it more interesting.

Chris, there are other routes to the northern provinces especially to Baguio from Manila.  The highway (Marcos Highway?) is not completed,  the last time I traveled it was about 50 to 100km short of Baguio. That was about three years ago...I am sure that the completion of the highway has progressed or has been completed. It's a new highway but not many facilities when I traveled it. It is a world class highway and a great road for touring bikes. The road to Baguio up the mountain is scary, even in a car. In the past there have been buses that when off a cliff and many perished. My point I was trying to make is to avoid AH26 in the mountains at all costs. Safety for friends and family is always my number one concern.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

RBM, I was just looking at Google maps.  When I posted the video above of Bontoc, I didn't realize that Bontoc is on the Halsema Hwy and the hwy runs along the Chico River shown in the video.  I'm sure the Halsema Hwy must be in very bad shape and even washed out in places.  Some of the towns probably lost a lot of infrastructure.  I would not go there.  As Bobo said, most like all the mountain road have damage, and I would not go that way.

To clarify a bit on what Bobo said about going to Baguio...

Going north from Manila, you have two main choices:  the new express tollway(s) or the old road, which is called MacArthur Hwy or North Manila Road.  If you enjoy dodging trikes, jeeps, bicycles, rice on the side lane, construction materials in the side lane, live trees in the side lane, dogs and people, take MacArthur.  If you want a nice, smooth concrete and asphalt highway with none of the above, take the expressways.

NLEX (North Luzon Expressway) start in Manila and the name terminates in Angeles City, where it merges with SCTEX (Subic/Clark/Tarlac Expressway).  The SCTEX name terminates in Tarlac and it merges with TPLEX (Tarlac/Pangasinan/La Union Expressway).  TPLEX just opened another section and now ends in Binalonan.  I will be driving that section for the first time next week.  Another section is supposed to open in December.

TPLEX was planned to end in La Union, near the mountain range Baguio is on, but now they are talking about extending it up the west coast as far as Laoag, past Vigan.  That will be years from now.

When you exit in Binalonan, you will get on Macarthur Hwy northbound.  The trikes, etc., are not too bad that far north.  It is about 30-40 km til you get to the mountain roads up to Baguio.  Marcos is the best road and trucks and buses are allowed on it.  Kennon Rd. is smaller, more scenic and has no trucks and buses.  It does have falling rocks and landslides.  I would not take it unless there has been dry weather for 2 weeks beforehand and it is reported in good condition.

When you leave Baguio, take another mountain road down into San Fernando, and connect up with the west coast road.  After you get out of San Fernando, it is a nice ride with just some traffic in the towns.  After you get way up north, you actually will be able to connect up with AH26, which is probably in decent condition on the north coast.  I have never been there yet.

• Like 3