Obtaining 13A Visa prior to leaving US

MartyC
Posted
Posted

I am married to a Philippine citizen. Would it be easier to get an immigrant visa before I move to the Philippines?  I know I can get the balakbyan stamp good for one year but after reading the drivers license thread it seems I should try getting the 13a visa before I arrive next year. I hear President Duterte may make it a requirement to obtain a Visa in the future and it could help prove the one year residency requirement for a DL. Its only $150.00 according to the Chicago Philippines Consular website.  All answers are greatly appreciated. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, MartyC said:

Would it be easier to get an immigrant visa before I move to the Philippines?

Other members have said you can avoid the one year probationary 13a if you get it before moving to Philippines so I would vote Yes.

• Like 4

MartyC
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave . I am printing the application now. It looks like a pretty simple process. As soon as I figure how to get police clearance from my place of residence. Do we have that here? Like an FBI background check or County Courthouse I wonder.:89:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, MartyC said:

Thanks Dave . I am printing the application now. It looks like a pretty simple process. As soon as I figure how to get police clearance from my place of residence. Do we have that here? Like an FBI background check or County Courthouse I wonder.:89:

Your local police or sheriff department can do this for you.  It's basically a criminal history check.  

• 2 weeks later...
MartyC
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if three misdemeanor DUIs would be a reason for denial of a Philippines visa? The last one was 6 years ago.. If they denied my 13a visa could they ban me from entry? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, MartyC said:

If they denied my 13a visa

I cannot answer your question but I can say I have never heard of anyone who was denied a 13a visa.  Some have more costs to pay but eventually they get approved.  But thats just stories from the fellas who got one :89:

Keep us informed how it goes for you.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MartyC said:

Does anyone know if three misdemeanor DUIs would be a reason for denial of a Philippines visa? The last one was 6 years ago.. If they denied my 13a visa could they ban me from entry? 

I think a criminal conviction is what could get you denied, not minor offences. 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think a criminal conviction is what could get you denied, not minor offences. 

This is correct.  When you get your police clearance for your 13A, (which is actually a criminal history check), traffic violations would not be reported.  However, it could be reported if the traffic violations involved a felony.  Such as death by M/V.  Also there are some states that do classify DUI/DWI as criminal either way.  If these occurred in a different state than where you now reside it may not show up at all when they do your background/criminal check.  The police clearance does not cost much and any local police or Sheriff's office can do it for you.  So, I'd have it done first to see what they list on it before going through the whole visa process.  If it looks good, go for the visa and if need be, get the police clearance updated.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, MartyC said:

My understanding of it is that they look to see if there any outstanding misdemeanors for you.

anthonytt
Posted
Posted (edited)

Note that your state clearance or as it were in my case because Arizona does not give police clearance I had to get FBI clearance. Easy process. But if it older than 6 months before you apply for the 13A then is is not valid anymore and you will need NBI clearance instead. Also, it will cost about$1,000 total and 8 trips to Immigration.

Edited by anthonytt
Add something